Airline pilot pay

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
a decent car/suv about $40,000

You can't find a "decent" car for any less than $40,000? What a fine world you must live in.

You can't find a "decent" car for any less than $40,000? What a fine world you must live in.

One where I have some self worth, and a desire to have the best for the hard work I do..

Which do you live in? A double wide trailer park?

Any decent Japanese, or American car (like an Acura or Cadillac CTS) with options and taxes is going to touch if not go over $40K.. Get into a lower end BMW or MB and you're into the 50's..

Or do you think those cars should only be for the lawyers and doctors of the world, and us pilots should be content with our 1991 Civics..

give me a break! :rolleyes:

One where I have some self worth, and a desire to have the best for the hard work I do..

Which do you live in? A double wide trailer park?

Any decent Japanese, or American car (like an Acura or Cadillac CTS) with options and taxes is going to touch if not go over $40K.. Get into a lower end BMW or MB and you're into the 50's..

Or do you think those cars should only be for the lawyers and doctors of the world, and us pilots should be content with our 1991 Civics..

give me a break! :rolleyes:

I think just about anyone of humble origins would agree that a car described as "decent" would be a car that is comfortable and functional for its purpose. A Ford is a "decent" car whereas a Lincoln is a "nice" car. A Honda is a "decent" car whereas an Accura is a "nice" car. I would agree with you that a "nice" car will cost you around $40,000 but cars that are mearly "decent" can be had for much less.

...and yes I would also say that someone that undergoes the time and expense to do the work we do should be able to have a "nice" car.

Last edited:
I think just about anyone of humble origins would agree that a car described as "decent" would be a car that is comfortable and functional for its purpose. A Ford is a "decent" car whereas a Lincoln is a "nice" car. A Honda is a "decent" car whereas an Accura is a "nice" car. I would agree with you that a "nice" car will cost you around $40,000 but cars that are mearly "decent" can be had for much less.

...and yes I would also say that someone that undergoes the time and expense to do the work we do should be able to have a "nice" car.

I think it's a symantics issue then.. I see decent as an upgrade from basic.. or Ford Focus.. Nice is what I'd call a BMW 3 and sweet is what I'd call a 5 or 7 series.

In the end, I think a pilot working on a $20,000,000 CRJ flying 50-70 people around the country in and out of airports in bad and good weather, 5 to 6 legs a day, 15-18 days a month should be able to get a "Decent" car, much less a guy flying a Bus, or Boeing, would you not agree?

entirely...and may the gods of pilot salaries hear you my friend!

Cause I'm tired of my 'descent' '92 nissan that break something every 500 miles...It would be 'nice' not to have a permanent set of nasty black nails all the time, having to do repair on this sucker!

Last edited:
How are airline pilots payed? What is meant by "block hour" and "per diem" as it refers to pilot pay? In most jobs where people are payed a fixed salary or earn a certain rate per hour (no matter whether or not they are actually doing work).

So Jimmy you ever seen a grown man naked?

Jimmy you like it when Scruffy rubs on your leg?

Jimmy do you like gladiator movies?

How about these numbers for some statistics.

In the United States...

Average income per household: $46,325
Average income per household with two income earners: $67,348

Average income, males 25 or older: $33,517
Average income, females 25 or older: $19,679

Average salary with high school: $26,505
Avereage salary with bachelor's degree: $43,143
Average salary with some college: $31,04
Average salary with masters degree: $52,390
Average salary with PhD: $70,853

Since 2004, salaries are down 4%

My point? No matter where you look, people are working more, for less. Whether you are a pilot, or not. Management has learned that they can cut pay, and people still show up to work. Management has learned they can cut pay, and resumes still pour in .. whether it is ABX Airlines, or ABX corporation down the street. Management knows they can lay off the higher paid workers, and promote people from below, to those positions, and pay them half of the person's salary, who was just laid off. Management knows they can then hire a fresh new grad to take the place of the person who was just promoted, and then pay them half of that person's salary. And, the cycle continues. I've seen it happen time, and time again.

I think there is a big misconception among the general public, about what pilots make and work, and a misconception among pilots, about what others make and work. Truth is, nobody makes what is thought. You have your rare FedEx pilot making $250K, and you have your rare salesman making $250K. The majority fall well below that.

As Americans, we need to stand up to greedy corporate executives. As long as resumes keep pouring in, and people keep coming to work, they will keep cutting pay, whether it is the airlines, or other inustries .. because it is happening everywhere.

(End Rant)

This is how our company sees things....

An average person working 40hrs a week will work 2080 hrs/year. (No vacation holidays taken out).

Pilots on the other hand may work only 72hrs a month or 864 hrs/year.

This is what the media will see and report on.
So if you are making $25,000/year that is $29/hr. Way above national average.

But we all know this is crap. I average 200hrs of DUTY/month or 2400 hrs/year.
That works out to $10.5/hr.

Pay scales at www.airlinepilotpay.com should be calculated based on duty time not flight time. Cause this is the real number of what you are getting paid. SO a first year F/O at a regional making $20k is really earning $8/hr.
Corporate Greed!

If you look at the salaries pilots make, , after first year, they aren't really that bad, compared to what typical people are making. BUT .. you are right .. its not as much the salary, as much as it is the break down of duty time vs. actual pay.

That is another reason why people have a misconception about what pilots make. A first year FO makes $23 an hour, so in the minds of most, that is $55K, not $25K. They don't realize the hours actually paid, vs. the hours actually on duty, etc.

BUT ... It works that way in other jobs too, to some extent. People are working moret han 40 hours, for the most part, today, for the same money, or less than years ago; since most are on salary, not per hour. A good friend of mine graduated with a degree in computer information systems, is two years into his career, and makes $35K. The other week, he and many others at his company were at work until 2AM trying to finish a big project. They didn't get paid for that time either - he is on salary.

Executives are greedy and will do anything to scr3w workers out of money, to put more in their pockets.

Latest resources

Back