• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airline Pilot Pay Too High?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why do top tier "professional" athletes, who in the big picture are only playing a game, actors who are only entertaining us get paid such astronomical salaries? They make substantially more than the average doctor who is doing a whole lot more than just entertaining people.

There are a lot of inequities out there, and you can take it to many different degrees.

Back to pilot's being paid too much and the basis of their education and experience. Pilots may not have the same amount of "higher" education that a lawyer or doctor may have, but that does not make the job any easier. Actual piloting skills may be easily attained by those that have the aptitude (not everyone has the ability to think in multiple dimensions). In the USAF they used to have an expression - "We can teach a monkey to fly be we can't teach them to think". Piloting proficiency has a substantial amount of information that can only be imparted directly by experience. Training is something that we have to do constantly, more so than a lot of other careers, so there is more "education" being accomplished than what might initially be observed - it is just not done using the "standard" models of matriculation.

The reason that everyone thinks pilots should be paid less, or that they are overpaid is directly rated to automation. If Airbus Industries had their way there would be no overpaid trained monkeys sitting in the front. Automation has been killing jobs for centuries. The public perception is that the contempory pilot just pushes buttons. I had a highly educated doctor say to me "you just push a button to make the airplane land -right?". He figured that since I was flying a large airliner that's all it took!

I work in Widebody ACMI freight evironment as a 4 year Captain with a base pay substantially lower than 100K a year. I watch "Airline" pilots with an unbelievable infrastructure and other support systems that just jump in and drive making a whole lot more than me and working a lot less. I guess it's just the way it goes. The lower tier doctors, lawyers, actors and athletes and a myriad of other professions are in the same boat - Some get the high pay and some don't.

I wouldn't trade what I do for anything. Could things be better, yes but the basic job fits me. Yes, some more compensation and less time out on the road is definitely in line.

It's all perspective. There are a number of careers and/or jobs that do not fit the average categorization of work performed verses compensation. You cannot use the same yardstick in evaluation of these. Being a pilot is just one of those jobs.

In short, some of us are underpaid and some are overpaid, it's just the way of the world. Good luck changing it.

Not that it is very scientific but occasionally the Parade Sunday paper magazine will do a survey of what people are paid. It is always shocking to see the regional and career differences. It's a real eye opener. There's a lot of overworked and underpaid people out there.

Sorry if this is disjointed and/or the misspellings - just got in from a long hard trip.

Good Luck To Us All!

Last edited:
Asking if someone...anyone...is "overpaid" is folly.

Anyone making more than me is "overpaid". Anyone doing what I do for less is "destroying the profession". I'm right where we should be - earning 95% of what I spend each month.

Evaluating our income while seated at a keyboard, eating Cheetos and sipping Pepsi, is going to cause an intellectual response that doesn't truly reflect why we do this job.

The best time to ask yourself if you're overpaid is right after you bust through the top of a cruddy, bumpy overcast, into bright, smooth sunshine. Put your sunglasses on, check out the startlingly white cloud deck and brilliant blue sky...then glance over to your F/O and ask, "Are we overpaid?"

Then try not to giggle...

Every profession has it's version crappy layovers, lame Chief Pilots, and unstable economic outlook.

The 4 times it's fun to be an airline pilot:

1. When you push 'em up for takeoff.
2. When you ease the stick back to land.
3. When you get paid.
4. When a little kid asks you what you do for a living.

Can't help myself here...gotta reply about this professional Doctor / Lawyer thing and comparing them to professional pilots.

There are professionals in all fields and aviation is one of them. Sure you can go out and pay some money and 6 months and be an "airline pilot". I don't think that's the kind of professional pilot with a class 1 physical, thousands of hours, and years of experience we're talking about. I don't see too many 6 month wonders taking a 747 or a GV overseas. It's about a decade or so after those 6 months that a major carrier or cargo or corperate flight department will CONSIDER interviewing someone for a position to do that.

Now for the Doctors and Lawyers... Let's not get to carried away with how "professional" these guys are and whether they are on another level than pilots in charge of the lives of hundreds of people and, in some cases, hundreds of millions of dollars of equipment. Just like pilots, there are outstanding doctors and lawyers. But there are plenty of ambulance chaser / class action lawsuit lawyers out there that aren't doing anything but lining their pockets. They might be able to go to law school and pass a test, but let's see some of those same guys try to shoot a CAT II to minimums after an overseas flight into a foriegn field. And there are plenty of quacks out there in the medical field that aren't "saving lives everyday". (I worked in a ER before...trust me). Yes there are great doctors doing unbelievable things to save people - professionals that deserve great pay. But there are plenty of "take some Vitamin-M (Motrin), you'll be fine. That'll be $500 dollars" doctors out there. And never forget that doctors bury their mistakes. Medical mistakes kill more than airline pilots do each year. An airline pilot makes a mistake....well you know the rest.

DetoXJ said:
If I may, I consider myself a very accomplished airline pilot. I did the long route. 4 year degree, CFII/MEI for 3 years with 50 signoffs and no failures, 8000+ hours 121 (mostly PIC)

I'm sorry but you prove my point. Your above experience shows you are just about ready to go to a major and be a rooky FO. All that time and experience just to get ready for a job interview with a major. CFIIing for 3 years at least in my opinion is not the long route. Going from point A to point B IMHO is not experience no matter how much time gets logged. Sorry, but we will have to agree to disagree.

Last edited:
PastFastMover said:
I'm sorry but you prove my point. Your above experience shows you are just about ready to go to a major and be a rooky FO. All that time and experience just to get ready for a job interview with a major. CFIIing for 3 years at least in my opinion is not the long route. Going from point A to point B IMHO is not experience no matter how much time gets logged. Sorry, but we will have to agree to disagree.

A new hire Major FO is an accomplished pilot, excluding (UAL and US Air pre 9/11). Regional FO's are the rookies. Sorry if you don't understand.

Latest resources

Back