airline pilot murders ex-wife...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FN FAL said:
Gary Baines, wasn't he the guy that strangled his wife and then drove her into a lake?

Yep. Apparently a winter-long soak in Lake Winnebago eliminated any evidence and he got off scott free.

THE GUY FROM AZ....

The guy from AZ is Mike Mullins. He owns a king air for skydiving that he flies the TIHS (turn it around) out of!

I believe he still flies for FedEx but I am not sure about that. He might have retired, though I doubt it.

There has been MUCH spectulation in the skydiving world as to whether or not he was involved in any homicide.

Did you read the article? His ex wouldn't get an abortion, so he divorced her, than she demands 19 years child support back pay and he is an FO at one of the lowest paying airlines in the world, do you get the picture?

Crowbar

I didn't know this guy Mark, but you say his wife drove him insane so that's why he did it. Gimme a break man!! Then you try to justify your statements by implying that it's her fault because she wouldn't get an abortion. Then you go on to imply that due to his job pay he shouldn't be responsible for a child he brought into this world. I have a family and I manage. I am sorry man, but there is no one to blame but this ass who wouldn't help raise a child, got pissed and took a life, then was too chickensh:t to face what he had done and took his own life. I hope you Get the picture!

Last edited:
I have jumped out of mullins's super king air plenty of times, it's a fast ride. I have heard some of the urban folklore about his pilatus pc-6 burining down in the hangar the night before his wife burned in a car accident, or vice versa. I don't believe any of the rumors.

I didn't know Mike Mullins flew for Fed Ex, I always thought it was UPS...oh well, you learn something new every day.

FL240 said:
Crowbar

I didn't know this guy Mark, but you say his wife drove him insane so that's why he did it. Gimme a break man!! Then you try to justify your statements by implying that it's her fault because she wouldn't get an abortion. Then you go on to imply that due to his job pay he shouldn't be responsible for a child he brought into this world. I have a family and I manage. I am sorry man, but there is no one to blame but this ass who wouldn't help raise a child, got pissed and took a life, then was too chickensh:t to face what he had done and took his own life. I hope you Get the picture!

I don't know all of the circumstances, I do know Mark was a he!! of a guy when I knew him a few years ago, about as friendly as they come.
I don't know what to make of it, apparently he had some problems, it's to bad he didn't get some help.

crowbar said:
I don't know all of the circumstances, I do know Mark was a he!! of a guy when I knew him a few years ago, about as friendly as they come.
I don't know what to make of it, apparently he had some problems, it's to bad he didn't get some help.

If he was such a "he11 of a guy", then why didn't he do them all a favor and just eat a bullet in the first place, instead of murdering his innocent ex-wife and mother of the son he'd abandoned?

Of course, what can you expect from a guy who would go so far as to divorce his wife because she refused to get an abortion? And then doesn't pay child support for his own son? Sounds to me like HE was the one driving HER insane and actually, it's kind of suprising that she didn't shoot him way back then.

Re: guy from az

Flyingmike,

There has been MUCH spectulation in the skydiving world as to whether or not he was involved in any homicide.

A&E has a show called City Confidential and they did a whole show on this guys trial, the episode was called-Memphis: Burning and Betrayal, which I watched.

Here's an article about his second trial from a Memphis Newspaper.

Exit of witness may aid Mullins:[Final Edition]
William C. Bayne The Commercial Appeal.
Copyright Memphis Publishing Company Feb 1, 1995
- The dismissal of a reluctant witness in the arson trial of Howard Michael Mullins may have done serious damage to the state's case Tuesday.
However, Circuit Court Judge Andrew Baker rejected a motion to dismiss the charges.
Mullins, a FedEx pilot suspended pending the outcome of the proceedings, is charged in connection with the burning of the 1987 Ford Aerostar van of his estranged wife Holly Ann Fulton Mullins on the morning of Aug. 31, 1991. Mrs. Mullins was beaten to death on Aug. 30, 1991; her body was found inside the burning van. Mullins was acquitted in April of murder charges following a seven-day trial in Memphis.
William Gansman, who manages Mullins's airstrip in Fayette County, Tenn., came to court Tuesday under subpoena, but informed the court he intended to invoke Fifth Amendment protection against self-incrimination on any questions other than his name and residency. Out of the presence of jurors, Dist. Atty. Bobby L. Williams read from a transcript of Gansman's testimony concerning Mullins before the DeSoto County Grand Jury on July 26, 1993:
WILLIAMS - Has he ever told you who he feels is responsible for burning Holly's van?
GANSMAN - Yes, sir.
WILLIAMS - Who?
GANSMAN - He said he did it.
Moments later, Williams continued with the transcript:
WILLIAMS - Who else was present?
GANSMAN - Nobody.
Leslie Ballin, one of three lawyers representing Mullins, said Williams had taken Gansman's testimony before the grand jury in an effort to "lock in" the testimony before trial. "He (Gansman) won't testify now because it was all a lie - a blatant lie - and he knows that he would face indictment for perjury in Mississippi and an automatic sentence of 10 years," Ballin said.
Williams, as usual, declined comment on the case outside the courtroom.
Tony Farese, another defense lawyer, said Gansman's grand jury testimony came after Mullins was indicted on the arson charges. Mullins was indicted July 9, 1993, 17 days before Gansman testified.
Judge Baker considered the objection by Farese and said he thought there was a "constitutional infirmity" in using Gansman's grand jury testimony after the indictment.
In the afternoon session, Robert Collins and Mary Banker, both of whom accompanied Mullins to a skydiving boogie in Fort Dodge, Iowa on the 1991 Labor Day weekend, testified that Mullins had left the skydiving festivities to return to Memphis on the night of Aug. 30, 1991.
When he returned about 11 a.m. the next day, several hours later than he had been expected, they said he had burns on his face and injury to the middle finger of his right hand. They said he offered no explanation for the burns.
Dr. Steven King, a plastic surgeon who examined Mullins at the request of Memphis police on Sept. 10, 1991, said the burns were consistent with flash burns, similar to burns a barbecue chef might receive if he dumped too much lighter fluid on hot coals.
After Baker excused the jurors, defense lawyer Steve Farese, a cousin of Tony Farese, asked the judge to dismiss the case against Mullins based on prosecutorial misconduct. In a brief hearing, Williams said he "may have erred" in discussing grand jury testimony of Jennifer Pinkerton and Barry Hoppert, with another witness, Paul Foster of Missouri. Foster was called to testify as to whether the account of how Mullins received the burns was possible.
In Mullins's murder trial in Memphis, Pinkerton and Hoppert testified that Mullins received the burns from a back blast from a cowling on his King Air Beechcraft airplane.

I knew Mark too.. A good person from what I knew of him...

My comments on this are simple...

There are THREE sideS to this story, His, Her's and the truth.. Unfortunately we will NEVER know any side of the story. To suggest otherwise is simply foolish and to those who made subjective opinions... your no better than the news report who gave just one side to the story.

No one knows what happened, no one knows the WHOLE story.

Mark left a son without parents and a new wife without a husband and people guessing what took place.

Not to change this into a child support thread.. walk in a man's shoes first before pointing the finger... Know one will ever know what he was thinking, IF he was thinking..

Last edited:
No one knows what happened, no one knows the WHOLE story.
That's right, I'm sure there was a perfectly good reason for him to MURDER her....

In Mullins's murder trial in Memphis, Pinkerton and Hoppert testified that Mullins received the burns from a back blast from a cowling on his King Air Beechcraft airplane.

I appreciate the information. I had heard that he had a Pilatus PC-6 or Helio Stalion that burned in a hanger that same weekend that his wife died in the car fire. So that was how he splained away his burns on his hands.

Like I said...all I have heard is rumors so far. This information you sent here to post is the first I have seen in writing about the Mullins incident.

Latest resources

Back