• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airline Perks

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Crew meals! I hear alot of veteran captains bitch about the crew meals, but I actually like them. I can't help but compare it to the box nasties and chow hall dog chow. Maybe in a few more years, I'll feel the same as some of these captains. Yes, it beats ANY 9-5 job!

Ih8AFYesmen said:
Crew meals! I hear alot of veteran captains bitch about the crew meals.

Of course, you could have the alternative we have: NO crew meals. I'll leave it up to you which is more likely to have something edible. :D

dont forget, people find out you're a first officer you get to field the question "so, do you want to be a pilot some day?"

you get to ride the emotional rollercoaster of not knowing when you're gonna be furloughed.

you get to have people that you barely know ask if you can get them discounts or buddy passes.

FREE use of a microwave (some bases)
FREE use of a refrigerator (sometimes stinky)

Girls flock to you in the terminal demanding autographs and handing you their hotel keys.
Some people even toss rose pedals at your feet as you walk in the terminal.

What's funny is all the money grubbing chics that used to think pilots make a lot of money have caught on..at least here in Dallas (fake chic heaven).
"OH you're a pilot?? Who do you fly for? ... I have to go now"

Last edited:
azxj said:
one word: polyester

Actually it's 3 words: Virgin Daycron Polyester

It's a scientifically engineered fabric. It retains the heat in the summer and let's the cold pass right through in the winter!

You just can't walk into K-Mart and buy this stuff... it has to be special ordered for you during ground school!

Wow, I got responses with real perks! Where do I sign up for this high-paying, cushy job with few if any qualifications or previous experience necessary?

Wow, I got responses with real perks! Where do I sign up for this high-paying, cushy job with few if any qualifications or previous experience necessary?

Try Mesa - they look for exactl ythis kind of pilot. Make sure you bring your vasaline and knee pads. Key interview question - do you spit or swallow?

Working for UAL was the BEST job that I ever had. And I was mostly on property after the 'summer of love' (2000), where every other UAL employee hated the pilots.

I bid reserve when I was a 727 SO in ORD because there were plenty of commuters who would aggressively pick up the trips for the per diem and not having to get a hotel room while on reserve. There were several stretches where I flew one trip (approx 3 days) a month. With that kind of work schedule, I didn't mind spending my 12 off days every month flying with the Guard. I only mil dropped a couple of days my entire probation year.

The worst hotel room that I stayed in with UAL was better than any hotel room the AF has put me up in (in 20 years of AF time).

I loved nonreving in first class on a 777/747 to Europe. The food is MUCH better in first/concierge class than coach, the booze is free, the IFE is better, there's a ton of legroom, etc.

There are always those days when you've got to get somewhere and you're stuck in a middle seat between the 300 pound dude (who raises the armrest between you and 'oozes' into your seat space) and the lady with the cholicy newborn. Yeah, those flights suck. But first class makes up for them, and once you figure out which flights are full & which are empty, you can plan your commutes to avoid the SWA-style sardine rides.

Andy said:
Working for UAL was the BEST job that I ever had. And I was mostly on property after the 'summer of love' (2000), where every other UAL employee hated the pilots.

I bid reserve when I was a 727 SO in ORD because there were plenty of commuters who would aggressively pick up the trips for the per diem and not having to get a hotel room while on reserve. There were several stretches where I flew one trip (approx 3 days) a month. With that kind of work schedule, I didn't mind spending my 12 off days every month flying with the Guard. I only mil dropped a couple of days my entire probation year.

The worst hotel room that I stayed in with UAL was better than any hotel room the AF has put me up in (in 20 years of AF time).

I loved nonreving in first class on a 777/747 to Europe. The food is MUCH better in first/concierge class than coach, the booze is free, the IFE is better, there's a ton of legroom, etc.

There are always those days when you've got to get somewhere and you're stuck in a middle seat between the 300 pound dude (who raises the armrest between you and 'oozes' into your seat space) and the lady with the cholicy newborn. Yeah, those flights suck. But first class makes up for them, and once you figure out which flights are full & which are empty, you can plan your commutes to avoid the SWA-style sardine rides.

To the guy that started this thread wanting to know about airline "perks":

Did you notice that Andy's post/reply making reference to his perks in the past tense? Did you see his "current position" in his profile? Unfortunately, that "perk" is all too common.

No offense Andy, I was just using you as an example. I feel for ya Brother and Good Luck.

Happy Holidays.

Latest resources

Back