Airline Perks

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Flyingtoohigh said:
Wow, I got responses with real perks! Where do I sign up for this high-paying, cushy job with few if any qualifications or previous experience necessary?

Flyingtoohigh,

Sure you may meet some folks hired 97-00 that were hired very young that meet that statement, but not very many. Nowadays age 32-36+ is the rule with oodles of real quality experience (read sacrifice). Another thing, with the emphasis on recommendations if you're a bonehead word will get around and you won't get hired.

Don't forget that there are 7000+ highly experienced furloughs figuring out what to do. They planned and worked for about 10 years to get their dream job and now have to regroup. Don't be fooled that getting from A to B is as easy as you think.

You want stress...You're in your late 40's to early 50's and labor groups, including yours, want to make more and it is obvious (apparently only to you) that it will KILL the airline. Management gives themselves golden parachutes and pay the raise. Wait a year or two and wham, Chapter 11. Then what are you going to do, start all over at 30K a year? Ya, that's a great perk.

Tell me, do you see paralegals or legal secretaries going on and on about how the lawyers make so much more than them at work?? Do they go on strike to get their fair share??

I know this is thread creep, but a dose of reality is in order. Too many people don't realize this business is like winning the lottery. Some win, many lose.

Last edited:
jetblue320 said:
To the guy that started this thread wanting to know about airline "perks":

Did you notice that Andy's post/reply making reference to his perks in the past tense? Did you see his "current position" in his profile? Unfortunately, that "perk" is all too common.

No offense Andy, I was just using you as an example. I feel for ya Brother and Good Luck.

Happy Holidays.

JetBlue320, furloughs are just part of the business. It's unlikely that one will get on with a carrier and see an unlimited up escalator in their career. For many, it comes crashing down in the form of a furlough and/or your company going chap 7.
I still get to enjoy pass priveleges on UAL thanks to my pilot brothers still on property who have negotiated passes for those of us on furlough.

I will continue to be on furlough for quite a while, but I'm making more money in the AF reserve than my counterparts back at UAL flying narrowbodies. Plus, I'm home every night, since I'm filling a staff position. I take a mini vacation every quarter to nice destinations on passes. All in all, life's not too bad for this furloughee.

I will continue to be on furlough for quite a while, but I'm making more money in the AF reserve than my counterparts back at UAL flying narrowbodies.

Furlough for quit a while?? Try a career ender for most with the hope of never getting recalled. It will be a very very long time (if ever) before United gets above 8000 pilots again and even that is a generous stretch. So if you are in the 8k-10k senority range your done at United. Don't get me wrong, I want United to survive and prosper (my Uncle is a 76 captain there) and hopefully TED will make it but you first have to get out of Chapter 11.

Be thankful you have a desk job to fall back on and good luck in your continued AF career.

PurpleTail said:
Furlough for quit a while?? Try a career ender for most with the hope of never getting recalled. It will be a very very long time (if ever) before United gets above 8000 pilots again and even that is a generous stretch. So if you are in the 8k-10k senority range your done at United. Don't get me wrong, I want United to survive and prosper (my Uncle is a 76 captain there) and hopefully TED will make it but you first have to get out of Chapter 11.

Be thankful you have a desk job to fall back on and good luck in your continued AF career.

UAL retirements alone between now and 2010 will absorb 1700 furloughs. That leaves another 450 or so furloughees with zero growth.
I'm not privy to UAL's plans and I assume that you aren't either. However, senior management has hinted that there are rapid growth plans upon emergence from chap 11. Time will tell.
This is an extremely cyclical industry. The current environment reminds me of the early 90s, complete with many omniscent statements of how the future in aviation would be dismal.
This business is supply and demand. Until recently, we couldn't get enough pax' butts in the seats. They're finally starting to return.
In the past, the airline industry has felt recessions first and recovered last. Looks like the same old pattern to me. I may be wrong, but I think that you're going to be surprised at the rapid rate of recalls for the major airlines starting in 2004.

This thread was meant for people to vent a little in a humorous way instead of venting at each other. I'm well aware of some of the normal perks of airline life. The few available are offset a great deal by some drawbacks. I now that it's a long, hard-fought road to the left seat of an A320, 737, or any turbine equipment for that matter. I'm getting ready for my battle to the left seat.

I hope this provides a chance for those who are in moving the larger iron to vent a little on the "perks" of their job.

Latest resources

Back