• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airline Dispatcher Tax Deductions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Check out IRS pub 463. You cannot deduct meal expenses unless you travel away from your tax home and it requires an overnight stay. As flight crew we cannot deduct meals unless we overnight, ie cannot deduct meals on a turn.

You are correct! I keep trying to tell this to people but nobody believes me. It is onyl when you are away from "base" overnight.

Pub 463 is the problem. It is confusing. Why does it specify dispatchers, ATC, ect?

Total grey area here, or...

...some might say a loop hole. Either way, depending on who you talk to(or how you interpret tax law to read) you, as an aircraft dispatcher, are entitled to some form of deduction. It would behoove you to speak with your CPA and have him/her evaluate your rights.

Doesn't work for most

My wife is a CPA and we already looked into this a couple years ago. The law has not changed and unless you commuted to your work (not in your car) and stay overnight, you cannot use this deduction. You wont find many CPA's who would knowingly put their a$$ on the line to let you use this deduction. However, the brilliant people working at H&R Block may let you. They are not sharpest tack in the box.

H & R does my taxes and they stated that if you take the allowable deduction for meals being a Dispatcher, you are "keyed" as a possible AUDIT from the IRS.... Is it worth the chance?

Latest resources

Back