Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

XPOO

You are now free to...
I thought I would start this thread to pull everyone's collective heads together to see if we can help each other in getting the most out of our tax returns due to job related tax deductions.

Some of the deductions I know about are:

1. Tax free meals if an employer supplies you with meals but does not allow you to be "away" from your desk for required breaks due to the nature of the job. I figure as long as the company allows a vending machine with food in it to be in our office, then those are provided meals that we must pay for and should be used as a deduction. Any thoughts?

2. Any supplies, or expenses, not provided or reimbursed by the company for our annual training. This seems to me that it would include notebooks, pencils/pens, lodging and meals. When you are out doing your jumpseating, you get paid an hourly wage and per diem, but does that cover the full expense of the trip required to keep current?

3. People who received their license in 2006 can claim the full amount of the classes, lodging, transportation and meals under an education deduction as long as none of that money was reimbursed or covered by your employer.

4. Any item bought for the daily use of your job not supplied or reimbursed by the company. Such items would be cordless mice, footrests, lumbar support pads, glare screens, etc.

5. Moving expenses not reimbursed by the company. This job demands that people usually move somewhere and I don't believe any airline out there reimburses for moving expenses. I deducted my moving van, gas, 2 months of living in a hotel before I actually found a place to live, and the food during that time. Got one hell of a nice return off that last year.

Does anyone know of any other deductions we can claim on federal and/or state income taxes? Or would anyone like to expand on any of the aforementioned deductions I've outlined?

Last edited:
I guess no one cares, or has any insight? Thanks for the help everyone.

I care!!! BTW, Who is the tranny in your avatar?

Your brother...err...I mean your sister. No seriously, I want to see if anyone has deducted any of these things in previous years or if there is something out there I dont know about yet.

5. Moving expenses not reimbursed by the company. This job demands that people usually move somewhere and I don't believe any airline out there reimburses for moving expenses. I deducted my moving van, gas, 2 months of living in a hotel before I actually found a place to live, and the food during that time. Got one hell of a nice return off that last year.

I know ONE airline that pays for moving expenses...

I dont see how you could deduct meals. Hows does being a DXer differ from someone working in an office. I dont think the IRS would buy it.

1. Tax free meals if an employer supplies you with meals but does not allow you to be "away" from your desk for required breaks due to the nature of the job. I figure as long as the company allows a vending machine with food in it to be in our office, then those are provided meals that we must pay for and should be used as a deduction. Any thoughts?

I don't think you can deduct meals. Pilots only count per diem/meal deductions when you have an overnight trip. I would think the same goes for dispatcher.

Under the H&R Block website it says that Dispatchers in the Transportation industry often overlook the fact that they can claim the money they spend on work provided meals since they are not allowed the freedom to suspend their duties to have their required breaks and meal periods. Vending machine in the office and coffee sound like a work provided means of meals at your expense, do they not?

Here are some basic rules for deducting uniform expenses:
  • The uniform must be required
  • You must purchase or lease it
  • It must not be suitable for wear away from work
If your uniform qualifies, you can deduct cleaning and repair costs along with the cost of the uniform itself.

Interesting……I wonder if your employer requires you to wear business attire (dress shirt, slacks, tie) would that be considered a uniform? I don't wear a tie outside of work, although I guess it could be "suitable".:p

I better not mess with Uncle....he can be pretty harsh if he feels taken advantage of.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back