• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airline apps Bug

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Some employers, for whatever reason, require new-hire FO's to have a first class medical issued within the past 6 months in order to be hired. Makes no sense, really, but some do require it.
Perhaps they want to ensure you will be able to upgrade when the time comes. They hire future CA's, not career FO's.

You are right it will always be a "First Class". But after six months your "First Class" only has "Second Class" privlidges.

Look, I'm sorry but that is not correct. The "privilages" are associated with the pilot certificate, not the medical. The thing that trips everyone up is that an FO really only needs a Second Class Medical, so the two get overly associated. Here's the FAR again:

61.23 (d) Duration of a medical certificate. (1) A first-class medical certificate expires at the end of the last day of—
(i) The sixth month after the month of the date of examination shown on the certificate for operations requiring an airline transport pilot certificate;
(ii) The 12th month after the month of the date of examination shown on the certificate for operations requiring a commercial pilot certificate or an air traffic control tower operator certificate......etc.

If you are working as an FO, that is an operation requiring a commercial pilot's certificate, and you are operating for the full 12 months on a First Class medical. If the guy has a first class medical, then 11 months later it is still a first class medical but is only current for operating under the PRIVILAGES of a commercial pilot's license (FO) or private pilot's license. It is still a first class medical, no exeptions, no modifiers.

Last edited:
thank you XjohXJ! I hope airline apps didnt ******************** me over...

Perhaps they want to ensure you will be able to upgrade when the time comes. They hire future CA's, not career FO's.

That's the only rationale I've ever heard. But if you think about it, it doesn't really make much sense. With everything that can change, how much assurance does a company have that just because a new-hire FO can pass a first class, that in six years (or whatever) when that FO upgrades, they'll still be able to pass a first class?

Rational for updating a First Class Medical, when not REQUIRED?

How 'bout the basic job of the pilot recruiters at any airline - sort through a big stack of resume's or applications, and make them into a smaller stack that they might be able to actually interview.

Just because you meet the minimum qualifications - doesn't mean you will be competetive!

Do yourself a favor, update, and present the best resume/application you possibly can. Maximize those points!

Look, I'm sorry but that is not correct. The "privilages" are associated with the pilot certificate, not the medical. The thing that trips everyone up is that an FO really only needs a Second Class Medical, so the two get overly associated. Here's the FAR again:

61.23 (d) Duration of a medical certificate. (1) A first-class medical certificate expires at the end of the last day of—
(i) The sixth month after the month of the date of examination shown on the certificate for operations requiring an airline transport pilot certificate;
(ii) The 12th month after the month of the date of examination shown on the certificate for operations requiring a commercial pilot certificate or an air traffic control tower operator certificate......etc.

If you are working as an FO, that is an operation requiring a commercial pilot's certificate, and you are operating for the full 12 months on a First Class medical. If the guy has a first class medical, then 11 months later it is still a first class medical but is only current for operating under the PRIVILAGES of a commercial pilot's license (FO) or private pilot's license. It is still a first class medical, no exeptions, no modifiers.

Thanks for using a lot of words to explain what I already said in one sentence. What did you think is meant when they use the term "privlidges"? A medical by itself is worthless without a pilot certificate, and vice versa.

Latest resources

Back