• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Aircraft speed for a new jet pilot...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In the CRJ (200) it takes 8 NM to make the slow from 330 kts to 250 kts without boards (used fairly well for crossing restrictions). The stick of shame is for my screw ups, not ATCs. Coming from the 135 worlds, boards are too loud and rattle the airplane, figure out how to actually fly the plane.

Now, with that being said, if the throttles are closed at 11000, 700 fpm down will slow the airplane from 330 to 250 and hit 10000 every time. You can do both in the -200 if you plan ahead.

I'd do both at the same time, slow and descend. See what the -900 will do minus boards. Perhaps its 600 fpm at flight idle. If it doesnt work, level at 10 and try it next time.

People tend to panic and use the boards. The -200 will descend at 2500 fpm at flight idle at 250 kts. That should be close for the -900. Perhaps a little sleaker, so maybe 22-2300.

Hope that helps

This has nothing to do with the topic of what to do when issued speed assignments in the air.

For your screw ups, not ours? Not original there, I think I read that a million times now in emails floating around about pilot to controller communications. Nice try. Try to be original

Yea I agree with LRJcaptain here.

We're both on the same side. They cover our ass more than we cover theirs.

I hate using the spoilers as well blesko. But when we're at 180kts and asked for best rate down, I cringe but out the boards come...gently.

91.117(d) ..If the minimum safe airspeed for any particular operation is greater than the maximum speed prescribed in this section, the aircraft may be operated at that speed.
This is what allows some military aircraft to fly faster than 250 below 10K'

If you need speed first, tell us you need the first vs the altitude, otherwise we're gonna do both. If you need us to "expedite" I'll throw everything out to make it work and reduce your pucker factor.

My point is this, if you're at 11 and 300, slow to 250 AND cross 10 at the same time. That's all that was about. He asked for ways to make it work.

I'll help you out and reduce your OE, and you help prevent my PD, however when I'm cookin along at 330 and I get a reduce immediately to 210, I dont have much sympathy.

Slow to 250 at 10,000 feet. (At ASA, it's even stated this way in our Operating Manual)

The CRJ 200 will do 250 KIAS at idle power with an 1800 fpm decent.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back