• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Aircraft recommendation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It will be very difficult to put ANY airplane online in that price range that is radar and known ice equipped. A C340 would be the closest that you will find.

A36 Bonanza with the approved TKS system and avionics with XM weather.

Over the last 4+ years I've flown a Cirrus SR22 from Texas to the Great Lakes equipped with datalink weather and never had any times when I wish I had an actual onboard radar.

If single engine is a non-starter, Cessna 310R, Baron 55/58 or Seneca II-IV should fit the bill. Also, Cheyenne IIs are in the 300-400k range...

Last edited:
As much as I disliked how it flew, the Cheyenne was a good airplane with 240kts cruise. "Poor man's King Air" is pretty accurate but it does the job and you could likely get one around your price range.
How often does he plan to fly and how much notice? That might be the bigger issue. Unless he plans on using it weekly, I'm with everyone else on the charter recommendation.

Last edited:
Probably about six trips a month with an average length of 300 miles. If he wants to do this I think I'll just steer him toward a 58 Baron or Seneca as an entry level aircraft. He'll just have to live with weather limitations. Then if the aviation thing is working for him he can always move up.

Probably about six trips a month with an average length of 300 miles. If he wants to do this I think I'll just steer him toward a 58 Baron or Seneca as an entry level aircraft. He'll just have to live with weather limitations.

He can always buy a fair-weather plane to use when the weather's nice, and charter when the weather's marginal. That might be the best way to stay within his budget, but still get some utility out of it.

T210, P210 and PA46 (Malibu) all fit that mission well. All can be had with roughly 1400 lb. useful load. 190kts on 15 gph for the pressurized versions at altitude. 300 lb of fuel would be adequate for most of the missions you describe, perhaps 400. That would work if guys aren't too big. Early PA46's in the $300K range generally dont have radar. Pod radar is common in P210, available in T210. TKS system available on the 210's is about as go anywhere anytime as you get. Boots on Malibu are so/so given the 130 kt min speed in icing.

What is his operating cost budget. Picking up a 400 series cessna on $250K is no problem, but he's looking at probably $100K/yr to own one.

There are a number of good resources for guys looking at $250K level planes. I highly recommend

cessna.org
copa.org
mmopa.org

A used cirrus SR22 with TKS wing (not known icing) and XM Weather (not radar, but the next best thing). It will fit 4 (including the pilot). It has reasonably long legs, a decent cruise speed, great instrumentation and autopilot, TCAD, and if all else fails, a ballistic chute. Plus only one engine to feed and maintain.

Downsides: One engine, no radar, might be tough to find one for only $300K

How much do the proposed pax/pilot/bags weigh? 4 adults plus bags and tks fluid is tough in a cirrus. Could be tough even in a T210 if the guys are 250 lbs+

I fly a non-FIKI TKS equipped SR22 G2.

Its a great airplane for one pilot and one or maybe two passengers...but with four adult men (especially if you have any bags) it becomes severely range limited due to lack of payload. With a payload consisting solely of 4 180lb folks, you won't get more than 40gal of gas onboard and probably more like 35gal. Best economy LoP will give you roughly 160KIAS @ 13gph but after you account for climb fuel 300nm isn't going to be doable 100% of the time.

Of course, if the pilot & passengers are light you're in better shape...and worse shape if folks are at or north of two bills apiece.

Of course, if you ditch the non-approved TKS system (which works, but tends to help pilots get out of a situation they never should be at in the first place) you'll gain quite a bit of payload.

With XM or Sirius datalink weather, I've never once wished I had an onboard ship's radar.

Latest resources

Back