Aircraft radio station license?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

buzzer

Do we still need these? I think maybe they are only needed for international travel but not sure. I'm talking about the one that goes with the airplane, not the personal FCC one we carry with us. Thanks

That is correct.

ARROW (with radio license) changed to
AROW (missing R)

You need a Radio Station License for international travel (yes, even Canada) and that referes both to the station and the individual operators permit.

If you want a station license, you can apply via the FCC. They will grant you one, willingly taking your money but you don't NEED one.

yes i remember about 5 years ago they changed the law and only international flights were required to have them. Dont have the reference handy though!

buzzer said:
not the personal FCC one we carry with us.
I'm not familiar with that one. Are there some ops that require a personal radio license?

Oh Canada!

Treaty we signed with them in 1952 states that a portable radio station must have a license and the operator must have a radio telephone operator's permit.

In Canada, I believe they still have to take a test. OK alphabet -

Adam , Baker, Charlie, David.....no that's not right

(Geez, remember Adam-12 the TV series, A was Adam, B was Baker, M was Mary got me all confused.)

All us Part 121 guys have to have an RTP in our pocket to go international. See FCC.gov for details.

Re: Re: Aircraft radio station license?

midlifeflyer said:
I'm not familiar with that one. Are there some ops that require a personal radio license?

If you fly outside of the united states, you're supposed to have a Restricted Radio Telephone Operator Permit. These can be obtained from the FCC merely by filling out a form ... oh yeah, and paying a fee, of course.

regards

Re: Re: Re: Aircraft radio station license?

A Squared said:
If you fly outside of the united states, you're supposed to have a Restricted Radio Telephone Operator Permit. These can be obtained from the FCC merely by filling out a form ... oh yeah, and paying a fee, of course.
From the "D'UH" department: Yes, I knew that after the US removed the requirement for a radio station license for domestically that "something" was needed if I, say, flew into Canada. For some reason I ended up thinking that it was an aircraft thing rather than an operator thing.

Thanks to you and tarp for pointing out the error of my ways.

You can start by going to the FCC website and searching for Restricted Radiotelephone Operator's permit, or "RRO".

The RRO replaced the old "third class license" that was once required, and granted with a test at the FCC office. We used to need one for broadcasting ops that didn't use an "engineer", but that has gone away, too.

There are two forms you need, one for the permit and another for the payment. If I recall correctly, it's $50. You read the instructions (been to law school?) and download the forms. The good news is that there is a phone number for help in finding your way through all this.

My advice to everyone is this: if you EVER want to fly internationally, get the permit NOW. It lasts a lifetime, and it used to be FREE, which means it will only become more expensive with time. Do it now.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back