Aircraft mechanic training

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

no1pilot2000

Where can I find the training to become a A&P mechanic? I know there are aircraft mechanic schools around the country, but have been told be people who attended them they are a scam. I was considering possibly going into the military, but I am too old for that.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

MIAT here in Michigan looks like a pretty good place. I looked at going there after I retire to get my A&P so I could 'legally" work on my own airplane. I thought in looked like a good program. http://www.miat.edu/programs/

BTW. As far as the military thing goes, have you tried the reserves?

Check with some of your community colleges whereas many have aviation maintenance technology programs providing training/instruction necessary to obtain the Airframe and powerplant licenses. A big plus for going to a community college is generally less expensive than a private college for the same training.

Check with some of your community colleges whereas many have aviation maintenance technology programs providing training/instruction necessary to obtain the Airframe and powerplant licenses. A big plus for going to a community college is generally less expensive than a private college for the same training.

+1. Thats what I did. Not a scam, its a requirement to have a certain # of hours of training before you can take the FAA A&P exams.

A&P schools

Community colleges are the best deals. I suggest Wayne Community College in Goldsboro, NC.
www.waynecc.edu
They have alot of new training equipment.
With some extra courses, you can get a 2 year AS degree in Aviation Systems Technology in addition to approval to take the A&P exams. Some of the four year state schools (there are 16 in NC) such as ECU in Greenville, NC accept this as most of your first two years in some degree programs.
Other options are Guiford Technical Community College in Greensboro, NC and Craven Community College (coastal- maybe New Bern, NC)
College of the Albemarle is builing a new building at Currituck County Airport to house a planned A&P program and the CNC machining program that will be moved from Elisabeth City.

I hope this is helpfull.

Also for anyone interested Johnston Community College in Smithfield has a Computer Integrated Machining Degree Program.
www.Johnstoncc.edu

Something to think about also.... Most schools have a deal with the local snap-on, mac, matco tool dealers where students get a very large discount. TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THAT!!!!!!!!! I cannot stress that enough. I was stupid and did not. In the 8 years I have been doing this I have invested alot of money in tools and wish I would have taken the discount.

Some of the advantages of attending A&P training through community colleges. I cannot remember the exact amount my class was quoted for all our tools but I want to say 400 to 500 dollars for all the tools a A&P would need. This was from 1993 or 1994 discounts.

Where are you located? There are several good schools that might be worth it to attend and then are several that are not so worthwhile. When I went back in '93 the cost was $12,500. Now the same school is getting about 36k for an A&P. Not what I would consider a very good choice for a $15 per hour job although the training is top-notch and you get life-time placement assistance. The military would not be my choice for various reasons one of which is that you want an A&P cert which the military does not train you for.

Where are you located? There are several good schools that might be worth it to attend and then are several that are not so worthwhile. When I went back in '93 the cost was $12,500. Now the same school is getting about 36k for an A&P. Not what I would consider a very good choice for a $15 per hour job although the training is top-notch and you get life-time placement assistance. The military would not be my choice for various reasons one of which is that you want an A&P cert which the military does not train you for.
Yes but in the military you will get credit for 1000's of hours of hands mechanic work and there is fast rack for these milarty mechs to get their A&P. Not mention $52K to pay for any training you want.

Of course thats all true pilotyip but the point that I would make is that you have to be in the military for a specified period of time and the training that the mechanics receive is very specific and not varied in other areas, ie an engine mechanic works on engines, an airframe mechanic works on airframes, and not even necessarily performing sheetmetal repairs/modifications. In a good A&P school like the one I went to you get the training to perform in all these areas, keeping in mind however that it is still a license to learn plus you have the certification needed to get a job. The school you mentioned in Michigan is a pretty good school and I considered it and toured the facility being as it was in my home state of Michigan when I was narrowing down my choice. In the end I wound up going to one of the old Aero Tech schools and finished in 13 months. I got more offers of employment than I knew what to do with.

Latest resources

Back