• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Airbus v. Boeing

• Airbus

Votes: 48 19.7%
  • Boeing

Votes: 196 80.3%

• Total voters
McDonnell-Douglas! The DC-3, DC-6, DC-10, F-15, etc, those are man-planes.

Oh wait, they don't exist anymore. :erm:

Boeing to take on Airbus with 1000 seat giant 797 Blended Wing plane

Boeing is preparing a 1000 passenger jet that could reshape the Air travel industry for the next 100 years.

The radical Blended Wing design has been developed by Boeing incooperation with the NASA Langley Research Centre.

The mammoth plane will have a wing span of 265 feet compared to the 747's 211 feet, and is designed to fit within the newly created terminals used for the 555 seat Airbus A380, which is 262 feet wide.

The new 797 is in direct response to the Airbus A380 which has racked up 159 orders, but has not yet flown any passengers.

Boeing decided to kill its 747X stretched super jumbo in 2003 after little interest was shown by airline companies, but has continued to develop the ultimate Airbus crusher 797 for years at its Phantom Works research facility in Long Beach, Calif.

The Airbus A380 has been in the works since 1999 and has accumulated $13 billion in development costs, which gives Boeing a huge advantage now that Airbus has committed to the older style

tubular aircraft for decades to come.

There are several big advantages to the blended wing design, the most important being the lift to drag ratio which is expected to increase by an amazing 50%, with overall weight reduced by 25%,

making it an estimated 33% more efficient than the A380, and making Airbus's $13 billion dollar investment look pretty shaky.

High body rigidity is another key factor in blended wing aircraft, It reduces turbulence and creates less stress on the air frame which adds to efficiency, giving the 797 a tremendous 8800 nautical mile range with its 1000 passengers flying comfortably at mach .88 or 654 mph cruising speed -- another advantage over the Airbus tube-and-wing designed A380's 570 mph. The exact date for introduction is unclear, yet the battle lines are clearly drawn in the high-stakes war for civilian air supremacy

Leave fries to the French. Americans know airplanes. As a side note I will always back a product stamped with made in the USA, What other reason do you need.
Bon Vouage Frenchy

JimNtexas said:
According to Homer Simpson, they are actually "cheese eating surrender monkeys".

Jim

It was actually Groundkeeper Willie who called the French 'cheese eating surrender monkeys.' (http://www.answers.com/topic/cheese-eating-surrender-monkeys)

But the point is well taken. <grin>

(I love the French, actually. Good folk and treated me well as I've staggered about from pub to pub. I know nothing about their airplanes and care even less. But the food rocks.)

CL60, you make me laugh. Bud light ought to make a commercial for you: Real men of Genius "here's to you: mr. Aviation industry tabloid man, when others are satisfied with reporting the facts, you go a step beyond, with your wild imagination you wow the gullable public..."

(oh, and the A380 cruises at mach .93, you might have sounded legitmate otherwise, that and why Long Beach???? Hehehehe you make me laugh like napoleon dynamite doing his report on our friend and ally nessie)

Last edited:
time builder said:
(oh, and the A380 cruises at mach .93, you might have sounded legitmate otherwise, that and why Long Beach???? Hehehehe you make me laugh like napoleon dynamite doing his report on our friend and ally nessie)

Actually, the posted article refers only to a generic 570 MPH for the Airbus. The official Airbus website states that the A380's MMO, (not cruise), is .89.

"why Long Beach???"

Boeing Integrated Defense Systems

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Boeing Integrated Defense Systems (Boeing IDS), based in St. Louis, Missouri, is a unit of The Boeing Company, responsible for defense and aerospace products. It a consolidated group consisting of the following acquired companies:
IDS also controls the Phantom Works research group, inherited from McDonnell Douglas, which will report directly to IDS chief Jim Albaugh.
Facilities
Although the Blended Wing concept has been around for quite some time, it is, (in my opinion), probably not going to become a reality for most professional pilots flying today.

CL60 said:
Although the Blended Wing concept has been around for quite some time, it is, (in my opinion), probably not going to become a reality for most professional pilots flying today.

Oh, so this is merely conceptual, probably not going materialize. Thanks for clarifying.
I can see concepts and plans being made in Long Beach, but not additional heavy aircraft manufacturing. Have you ever been there? The C17 manufacturing is crammed in there as it is.

Bwb

time builder
HTML:
Oh, so this is merely conceptual, probably not going materialize. Thanks for clarifying.
I can see concepts and plans being made in Long Beach, but not additional heavy aircraft manufacturing. Have you ever been there? The C17 manufacturing is crammed in there as it is.

The blended wing body design is still being scrutinized for civilian/military high density seating utilization however has been a reality in other military applications for a while. NASA: "The basic concept for a blended wing body was first developed decades ago and variations of it have been used in the famous B-2 bomber (a blended wing) and the lesser-known YB-49 (a pure flying wing from the 1940’s)." There are also several other current military testbed BWB aircraft.

Most aviation insiders believe the civilian BWB will be a reality in the relative future however there are technological as well as traditional barriers to overcome first. My guess is that some future generation of civilian pilots will be lucky enough to experience this leap in the evolution of aviation design.

NASA.gov has some great illustrations of what a BWB airliner will probably look like.

Latest resources

Back