Airbus Experience @jetBlue vs TotalTime

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Interview

I interviewed with Jetblue June 26 (Wednesday) and got the call the following Monday that I was moving into phase II. Did the prefight on the dark blue suit, white shirt and red tie. Worked for me. Saw various colors (kinda surprised, not the standard as per the interview gouge). Saw the brown suit w/blue shirt and yellow tie, saw a variety of jetblue copycat ties. Stick with the dark blue suit (shows authority, look at the AF, USCG and many airlines) and the red type of tie with the white shirt (Look at the President, red shows sincerity). If I'm not mistaken you have to hand in your "shining moment" and it must be 200 words or less. Next, recommendations don't count until you are in phase II. I got the call from a jetblue rep in Salt Lake City who told me she was conducting my background check and will now call those "Letter of Reference" folks and she will also ask them if they know anyone else that might know me. Here is where the Recommendations come into play. If you know anyone that is at Jetblue (even if you haven't flown with them) get them to fire and e-mail "recommendation" to recruiting. Good luck to you July 16th interviewee's , remember they know you can fly, they now want to get to know you and how you would handle particular situations that can arise.

Do NOT stress the clothes dudes. They don't care what color your suit and shoes are. Be sensible about it, but doesn't matter the tie, black/gray vs blue suit, brown vs black shoes, etc. Spend your preparation and energy in getting to know your past and communicating general stories in S.A.R. format instead of concentrating on what to wear. Best of luck. You're going to love JB!

This interview stuff is a bit nerve racking to some of us who havn't interviewed in 15 years. Just getting into the right frame of mind is hard to do. To get the great jobs is still just as hard as I remember from the '80s. Just alot more paper work involved.

Kjet and Caddaddy,

I second what stide stick-n and true blue have posted on this thread. The tie doesn't have to be red. As a matter of fact, they like to see the guys coming up with ties that look vaguely like our tail paint schemes (4 total now). I've seen what some of my buddies wore and thought they must have hunted for hours to find some of those ties. Yes, they were hired without the red tie.

I just flew last night with a guy who does the interviewing for us. He said they have filled classes through Oct of this year. As a result, he was told by Dean that they wouldn't interview in Aug.

Now as far as the Airbus experience goes: My class was 16, 6 of whom had Airbus experience, 7 were right out of the military. The class behind me only had 2 Airbus qualified pilots (out of 20 I believe). So obviously, that's not the determining factor. I spoke with Dean last week and he told me they didn't send some guys to Phase II and they did have the Airbus time.

Don't get so caught up in preparing for a jetBlue interview as you would with another company. It's a different experience entirely. They're not looking for someone who has the answers down but can't communicate well and be personable. Case and point the guys who were passed over for Phase II. Dean said specifically, they had the SAR format for the answers, but their personalities indicated they were not what we consider a "company fit". They are still hovering around the 30% marker for those who interview to those who actually get hired.

Thanks for all the great responses. Just a couple more questions.

Is training still in MIA, now many weeks, any word on another training center or the purchase of a sim?

Any further word on new crew bases Longbeach, IAD?
Thanks

Kjet--

Yep, training is still at the Airbus Center in MIA and takes about 7 weeks. The first 8 days are company indoc (much of it done with a new-hire inflight [flight atttendant] class). Some instruction is given "wet," by Airbus instructors vice JetBlue instructors. All of the training is done well, regardless of who performs it.

No news on the purchase of a sim, and I believe all training for the forseeable future will continue at the Airbus Center.

While there have been discussions on a potential crew base at FLL and Long Beach, no decision has been reached. It is a costly move to establish a new base and the company wants to ensure it is done the right way, thus the delay.

I, however, am starting a rumor that Newport News International will be the next crew base. Pass it on...:D

Latest resources

Back