Air Wisconsin

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

wanafly

Have an upcoming AWAC interview. Looking for info like upgrade times, junior bases, how is life in DEN or ORD or ATL?

You can forget DEN. They are still displacing there. Look to be in either ATL or ORD. Most guys going to ORD. Not many, at least in my class, wanted ATL. ATL operation runs much smoother than ORD (thanks to the gound ops) But AWAC is a great place to be. Rumor has it 100 more new hires this year with the potential of bringing on 20 new planes for United. Good time to get on board. Good luck and feel free to PM with any questions.

On the last bid, the junior captain award was seniority number #453 out of approx. 750 pilots or so. It was ORD reserve. Not sure of the hire date.

Mayday.

hasn't a lot of people passed up the upgrade recently to avoid possible dissplacememt? Also heard today that we may be getting so of our DEN flying back from.

Classes are schedualed to start every two weeks starting tomarrow.

Mayday911 said:
On the last bid, the junior captain award was seniority number #453 out of approx. 750 pilots or so. It was ORD reserve. Not sure of the hire date.

Mayday.

Mayday, #453 would be Jan 01. I was 433 when I left and my class is just now starting to upgrade Nov, 00 hire date.

WD.

I believe the official number of additional new hires for the year is 80.

The only difference between DEN and ORD is that the DEN guys get paid for their commute to ORD. All of the flying is out of IAD and ORD - DEN trips don't see DEN except the first and last legs (for RJ, 146's spend all day going from DEN-EGE/ASE). I'd estimate there are 70-100 of us who live in DEN but commute to either ORD or ATL.

ATL and ORD are very similar for seniority. ORD trips are more commutable but ATL skeds are more days off. ATL is a small operation, only 10 airplanes, so not much variety in the flying.

IAD is likely to open up as a crew base (this straight from upper management).

If you are looking for a fast upgrade AWAC probably isn't the place. If you are looking for the best place to be an FO while you wait for that elusive upgrade than AWAC is not bad at all.

I started in the fall of 02 so I've been here a year and 5-6 months. I'm about 170 numbers from upgrade give or take with 150 below me. It all depends on future flying. We are scheduled to take delivery of our last 3 new aircraft this month with no more guaranteed after that. However I think management told us we bid on an additional 20 a/c for UAL which should add some more pilots.

As far as bases the above posters are correct. ORD is the largest base and most of the new-hires are going there. As far as the areas I wouldn't know since I commute and can go anywhere they want me. Denver seems nice. Atlanta is reported to be pretty hot and ORD is **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**tty in the winter and nice in the summer.

Good luck on the interview. You could do a lot worse than AWAC.
The first year sucks but it is liveable and much better than almost all other regionals your first year.

Latest resources

Back