Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Re: clarification

FlightTraker said:
Is the rule about not hiring back former Air Wis employees specifically for pilots leaving and wanting to return or all employees?

It applies to pilots. There have been many ground personel that have left and returned.

Beechnut,

I interviewed with a former Awac employee who somehow managed to get people he knows at the company to change his status so he was interviewed with me the beginning of August. Don't know if he was hired but why even bother to interview him if he didn't have a chance?

Good question!

I don't know the specifics of the rule, only the general policy. I was just reporting what we received from the notes on the meetings. As I did mention before, the policy has been challenged but as far as I know, it has not been changed.

I sure wouldn't let that stop me from sending a resume though.

Good Luck!

S.

Hey Speedtree,

The answer from "Goffer" is really from me. I forgot to check and see who I was before answering.

Sorry Goffer!

S.

Flip Conroy said:
Does anyone know what the upgrade time is looking like?

In theory on the 328 it could be as little as 6 months as of 1st September they will only be upgrading within the 328. The RJ, for those getting on now I would have to estimate 18 months. Depends on deliveries etc.

Bare in mind there are forcast to be 1100 pilots next year, 600ish now with deliveries scheduled through 2004.

How long is a piece of string?

Flip Conroy said:
Do they ever offer the 328 for new hires?

According to MGMT the new hire classes will be for all fleet types. less chance of the 146 though as it pays best and little movement there within the company.

In your first week you submit a bid on type and domicile. Awards are given based on openings and by seniority number in the class. This is in descending order, oldest to youngest, oldest having the lower seniority number.

more questions

Does anyone know how long a new hire can expect to be on reserve?

What are the typical new hire lines like? Both reserve and new line holder? How feasible is it to one hop commute?

If you didn't get your choice out of training, i.e. Do-328/Den, are you locked in whatever you get for 18 mo's unless you could hold captain?

Thanks in advance!

Re: more questions

Focker said:
Does anyone know how long a new hire can expect to be on reserve?

What are the typical new hire lines like? Both reserve and new line holder? How feasible is it to one hop commute?

If you didn't get your choice out of training, i.e. Do-328/Den, are you locked in whatever you get for 18 mo's unless you could hold captain?

Time on reserve - Really this is an open ended question. Depends on too many variables. Reserve holders get a 75 hour/mth guarantee (currently $24/hr on the RJ & 146). PD runs at $1.55/hr. RSV lines are generally 5 on 3 off. DEN has ready reserve which is 8 hours at the airport with per diem. In all with a requirement of 140 pilots this year and 3-400 next year any time on reserve is going to be minimal.

As a new line holder don't expect to get every weekend off senior guy's do! ;) Of late they have been running anywhere from 50-70 block hours with 70-85 hours credit and about 280 hours TAFB.

Commute - depends on location and who you choose. It is getting more difficult to commute on UAL ORD-DEN-ORD due to heavy loads. If you can it's best to use AWAC.

328 seat lock is 6 months, RJ & 146 is 1 year. That said if you move laterally within this period you lock to another year plus remaining balance. After a year (6 months 328) you are allowed (I believe 2) lateral moves whilst in AWAC without penalty.

Just to clarify things about seat locks...

FO's may not bid laterally into another fo position for 2 years. If you bid the 328, you are locked into the 328 for 18 months, i.e., you can't upgrade to CA into the CRJ or 146 during this time. Only 328 FO's are allowed to bid 328 CA positions. When you are awarded a 328 CA postion, you will get another 18 month seat lock in that position. This is due to a letter of agreement regarding the 328 "declining fleet phase"

You must have 6 months elapsed time from start of ioe to when you can hold 328 CA. For the CRJ or 146, you must have had 1 year elapse from start of ioe to hold CRJ or 146 CA. If there is no one bidding CA who has met the 6 month or 1 year requirement, then pilots with less time may bid and be awarded CA.

Once you have bid and been awarded a captain position, there are no locks except the 328 18 month lock.

I know this sounds confusing, but hope it helps people out.

RR

Latest resources

Back