• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dogg

it does not matter anyway
Question for Air Wis guys that have been around for awhile:

Has AirWis management talked to the employees at all about the impending United bankruptcy. Specifically as it relates to fee for departure and their plans for being profitable with out the United subsidy. And their plans for the company if United either cancels all support for their EXPRESS carriers as part of reorganization or does not come out of reorganization.
As I recall, when AirWis went bankrupt they were operating only as a simple code share and were not getting any gurantee for there flying or support for other functions of the airline
I understand the concept of feed and how important that may be for United but it seems like the day may not be to far away when they simply don't have the cash to pay for it.... These are just considerations when considering a long term carreer....

Yes management have spoken to the pilot group etc about United's current circumstances and what possible effect it will have upon us. For most of it's history, AWAC has only worked for UAL and the recent deal with Air Tran was either management finally looking at not having their eggs all in one basket and/or the time was right to look at other avenues for revenue. I think it alos put to rest alot of the belief that we were partly owned by UAL.

What you will find is that United will use it's 3 express carriers more in an effort to reduce costs and bring in more cash flow. This is a case of simple math, the express carriers are a cash cow for them. United have already announced last week that they will be closing 7 mainline stations and reverting the flying to express and I seee more of this to come. There is even talk of parking some of the older guppies with more pilot furloughs - this I don't want to see as it will only create more hostility from mainline towards express carriers.

We are stepping up our deliveries of RJ's and hiring 140 pilots this year and 400+ next year at the request of UAL (forget the Air Tran deal here), UAL management know what their business plan is and are not operating day to day. Every thing we have been told is positive.

IF UAL went turtle to be honest I think that the express carriers would be in a position to still operate on their own and service their current routes in their own right (they already have all the staff, ground equipment, aircraft etc) so why not.

Personally, these are difficult time for all but I don't see AWAC (or others) falling bty the wayside IF UAL were off the scene.

Dogg,

No matter how bad big brothers finances are express will always be around. You see, we are now in a position to do a large portion of the domestic flying with the intro of the RJ. I hate that comparison because it puts an us against them twist to things. We are all just PILOTS doing the job for which we were hired and trying to reach our ultimate goal of being with whom we wish to retire. I have nothing but love for my fellow ALPA brothers and sisters at UAL but lets face facts, UAL mgt made some really stupid decisions over the past 24mos. Ual allowed themselves to be put into a position that cost them over 50 million dollars with the failure of the USAirways deal and then the whole Avalor disaster was millions and millions more wasted. No matter what, UAL NEEDS US simply because we do it for a fraction of the main line costs.

WD.

To Whiskey and Rott.. Thanks for the response.. I asked the questions because some talking head was saying that UAL's current dilemma could have grave consequences for AIR WIS, SKYWEST and ACA.. It just seems to me that if UAL hits the ground that SKYWEST, AIR WIS and ACA could join together and the travelling public would still be served well. Trying to sort out the long term picture..... as in some career stability thanks again..

A quick question for you guys, how did you get away with becoming an Air Trans carrier. I thought the contract Air Wisconsin signed with United didn't allow pursuit of another airline partner. Is it because Air Trans is a national that allows you do this?

Just Curious.

Our contract with UAL is not unlike that of which Skywest and ACA have. We are compensated on a fee for departure basis, thus allowing AWAC to persue other interests. Unlike American Eagle and Coex we are not owned by the parent company which forbids them to seek and aquire outside interests.

WD.

Whiskey, one more thing. Not to sound dumb but is fee for departure the system where by they will pay you x-1000 dollars to take a CRJ from DEN to LAX and back as an example and the price is the same wether it is full or empty. Thanks again......

Yes. Paid to depart full or empty and it still costs a fraction of main line costs.

WD.

Latest resources

Back