• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Air Wisconsin minimums lowered?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
They aren't hiring from a "bridge program." They have a deal with some stupid academy and are hiring an occasional ahole who bought a CRJ type through this academy and the facility that hosts our CRJ training. Not sure how many might have come from this sham or how many might but that is the situation.

Guess my 2 hours in actual, 1 hour multi, 5 hours total time today as a CFI are less important than some yahoo who can afford a type rating. Brilliant!

Hi!

"..I'll bet the competitive minimums are much higher than that."

The following statement is VERY important for U 2 read if U want to get hired at an airline:

It DOESN'T matter what the minimums are, or what the competitive hire-times are-

If U want the job and U meet the minimums (and some airlines, like FedEx, actually encourage U to apply even when U don't even meet the published minimums), you need to APPLY for that job immediately. If U meet the mins, you may get the interview, and the job.

I know a number of pilots who don't apply because they don't think they'll get hired. Guess what? THey're right! THey don't get the job!

Here's an example:
121 Check Airman
7500 TT
2000 TT 121 Multi-Engine Jet Airplane PIC
College Graduate
2000 Instructor Time

He didn't apply at JetBlue, AirTran, FedEx, etc. because he knew that the average new-hire had tons more experience than he did.

When he saw the times that pilots were getting hired at at the airlines he was interested in, he was shocked! He couldn't believe that the average new hire actually had LESS experience than he did.

He could have gotten hired 1-2 years ago, but didn't because he didn't apply anywhere, due to the mistaked belief that even though he met the minimums, he wasn't "competitive".

I also knew a guy who got a Delta interview with about 1700 TT.

So, if U want the job, APPLY!!!

Cliff
DTW

SpocksBeard said:
They aren't hiring from a "bridge program." They have a deal with some stupid academy and are hiring an occasional ahole who bought a CRJ type through this academy and the facility that hosts our CRJ training. Not sure how many might have come from this sham or how many might but that is the situation.
Just curious why you'd call these people aholes because they decided to better their resumes and make themselves more attractive to a prospective employer in a tight hiring market by earning a type rating. The last I knew you still had to EARN a type rating, you can't just go out and buy one. Would you call someone who went out and earned (or as you put it BUY) a master's degree to better their resume an ahole as well?

Oh I think I understand where you're coming from. You must be one of those people that thinks the only way to an airline job is through flight instructing. Get over it!! You chose to be a flight instructor and thats fine. But why criticize people who have decided not to go that route? You don't know their background. They may have worked their a s ses off to earn the money for this type rating!

And labbats,
You chose to be a flight instructor. Quite whining about those who chose another way to build the experience and qualifications for a regional airline job.
Oh, and I guess all those SWA pilots are aholes as well. I mean come on, a major airline and they REQUIRE everyone to have a type before getting hired! Last I knew AWAC does not require the type, nor will it ever require it.

This is the only profession I know of where so many people concern themselves about how someone gets the required experience necessary for a job. Some of you need to get over yourselves.:rolleyes:

Yes, some of us do. You first.

Seems we struck a nerve.

Last edited:
labbats said:
Yes, some of us do. You first.

Seems we struck a nerve.
Yes you have, I won't deny it. Is it the intention of people like you to, as you say, strike a nerve? And I'm not the one calling others aholes because they may have chosen to better their resume by doing something you may not be able to afford to do!

I worked a blue collar job for years. Ive worked out in the rain and mud with a rake and shovel in my hand to get to where I'm at now, and I take offense when people call me a "yahoo" or an "a s shole" because I may not have done things their way!

Just like Sinatra, I did it MY way!!!

And btw, it seems people like me are the ones that strike the nerves of people like you.

Before we get on a posting spree let me just add the following.

I didn't call anyone an a hole. I had a long day as a flight instructor after years of doing the same construction jobs you still cherish. I saw the post of someone buying a type rating and effectively cutting in line for a job I want. I'm relatively certain that I too could earn that rating too if I ponied up enough cash. The issue isn't the earning, but moreso the buying.

Anyone can learn to fly a simulator, just like you can learn to fly a computer game...because that is all that it is, a big procedures game. You get to 600 turn on the A/P and work the FCP. Descend to 200 and turn the A/P off and smash the airplane into the TZ.

I fly with Captains on the line that have had to take the airplane from some of these people, close to the ground. Others say its like flying with another, unqualified, Captain.

I was sitting in our (AWAC) training hotel in DEN, enjoying some complimentary adult beverages from the hotels management. There was about 15 or so of us sitting around the lobby. I would say that it was an even mix of new hires, recurrents, and instructors. 2 new hires walk in to the lobby...walked right to the elevator and went upstairs. You guessed it, they were the only new hires that had their type ratings, both with low time. One of their classmates even asked them to join us. They declined. My rambling point is that it seemed that they even understood that there was a stigma associated with them because of what they had done. My question....why in the he!! would you subject yourself to that for a job that is probably going to pay you less than you payed for your type in the first year. Especially the guys who are going through the CAE program right now...they will probably be on reserve, as an F/O in IAD, for a long long time.

There is more to life than flying airplanes and most of us just don't get that.

Mayday.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back