Air Wisconsin flushes pool

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey Snine,

With your background, you're hardly in a position to be given the opportunity to turn down AWAC. Good luck with your Commutair interview.

rightrudder,

Your post seems to imply that CommutAir hires inferior pilots. Surely I must have misunderstood you. Quite a few of those poolies were from CommutAir, so AWAC must have thought that they were good enough.

SuperD

I'm sure he was simply pointing out that Snine only has 1300TT while AWAC mins are 1500/500. Why they would dump everybody in the poo after spending all that money to interview them I don't know. It does seem like an odd move. As for AWAC paying like a regional...I don't know of too many regionals that top out at $117.08/hr currently with $135.65/hr by 2005. 2nd year FO pay of $35.01/hr isn't too shabby either. You can live pretty comfortably on that. Let's not get into the whole regional vs national debate. We all know how ridiculous the national vs major thread was for Comair. Comair is just as much a "regional" as AWAC as far as the public is concerned.

Yes, I am only pointing out that Snine does not possess the experience level that Air Wisconsin requires and expects to see in an applicant (previous turbine experience, 121 preferred, as well as minimum time requirements). I am not slandering CommutAir pilots in any way, flying a 1900 around in crummy weather is no easy task.

Snine has been asking for lots of advice on this board about getting hired, and why his/her cfi experience shouldn't be as valued as someone with previous 121 experience.

Anyhow, I just found it ironic that this person would state that they wouldn't work for a carrier that they are not even qualified to apply to.

And, I am sorry that those of you in the pool are out of luck. I have a friend in the same situation.

Sorry to hear that! But it didn't cost the company a penny to have the pool going. They probably figured with so many qualified pilots in the street why keep the pool going with low time guys, when they can get more experienced pilots. You are right they are looking for #1!

Getting to the bottom

Hey all you poolies. I am trying to find out what the deal is because from my perspective the pool was not a burden to keep open. Will try and get back to you all. I know for a fact that some pilots in the pool got the letter and had over 4000hrs. :confused:

You know, it's still a pretty lousy thing to do. AWAC thinks they can go out and get "more qualified pilots". Surely those in the pool were qualified to AWAC's standards before, so now suddenly they are not qualified just because of all the pilots on the street who have more flight time? Flying an RJ is not rocket science, and 1500/500 is generally more than adequate to the task.

Regionals who are going out and hiring only 3000+ hour pilots "just because they can get them" are going to be paying the price later by losing them to attrition when majors start hiring again in a couple of years.

major hiring

majors will never hire again if scope is not enforced. Comair/ASA guys will be flying the MD-80 soon if this is allowed to continue. Delta guys need to strike !!!

Why keep a pool of people when they need to make room for all the furloughed UAL guys they could hire and not make give up the seniority number that all the other furloughees would have to give up. Some other Regionals like AWAC are doing that with their major partners so the major furloughees can keep their number. I wouldn't worry about it for the guys getting dumped...there's many more regionals that are just as good and some a lot better. AWAC certainly isn't the worst Regional to work for, but it certainly isn't the best just for the fact that they are tied to that "great" place called UAL. Good luck!

When you consider that the people in the pool have been there for 3 quarters and AW probably does not see a need for awhile, I am sure they just said, let's start again when we need to and see who is available then.

a one year old pool gets a bit stale.

Latest resources

Back