• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Air Wisc Questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You can get a single day off in a line if it is the last day of the bid period or the first day of the next.

How many pilots are there now and does anyone know how many more they plan on hiring this year?

Any word on how the US Air/ AWA merger is going to affect AWAC? I mean especially since they are on the board at US Air? Talks about growth?

Is the pilot group treated descent? Good contract? AWAC seems to be one airline you don't hear about, at least on this forum.

Current list shows about 870 pilots give or take a few. They are continuing to hire in classes that seem to average about 12 a month. Attrition is very very high right now - has been averaging almost 30 a month. There are always rumors of growth (90 seaters seem to be a recurring rumor) but so far nothing concrete has surfaced. The merger is the unknown - all we know for sure is DCA and PHL bases everything else is just so much speculation. Hopefully a west coast base might come out of the merger so half of the pilot group won't have to commute across the country.

I have worked for three regionals and of the three I think ZW treats us pilot types best. It isn't the way it used to be, but then again what is? I would put our contract up against anyone elses except Comair. Our union is in the process of making some new agreements with the company that will allow of to have one of the more liberal commuter clauses that I have heard of in the regional ranks. Also there is the continued greivance to get our old contract back (big money! well sort of.) Our union works hard to try and make the best of what we are dealt and I think they do a good job of it.

If you want the quick upgrade this is not the place for you (though it will come down significantly over the next few months) but if you are like me and value QOL over a fast upgrade at a crappy job that you hate then this is the place to be. PM me if I help. Good luck.

Twotter76

I don't know about the upgrade time getting shorter guys. For me it'll be 3 yrs Sept 9 and I'm 27 spots away from pain and torture as a jr rsv ca. If I get it on the next realignment, it's not likely to happen until late fall. We're trimming down the 146 fleet to 4 or 5 for the ski season, then down to zero. Bae-146 pilots will continue to get the ca slots (they have to commute anyway) and 110 more of them will bump us less senior pilots down come next May. We have no official guarantee that US will take all 70 of our CRJ200's, although we still have the right to fly up to 70 jets for them. Of course you need to consider attrition as well. This all adds up to it being a crap shoot, but my glass is half empty, not half full right now. If you live in PHL, DC, or Norfolk VA your commute would be doable of course.

Right now I'm really better off going corporate. A good corporate job will net you at least RJ CA salary as an FO, more nights a home, better bennies, and no commute. It's a no brainer after you get over your ego driven airline pilot jet jockey dreams. Getting the 'good corporate job' is the trick, one many of us are trying to learn.

Crossky said:
I don't know about the upgrade time getting shorter guys. For me it'll be 3 yrs Sept 9 and I'm 27 spots away from pain and torture as a jr rsv ca. If I get it on the next realignment, it's not likely to happen until late fall. We're trimming down the 146 fleet to 4 or 5 for the ski season, then down to zero. Bae-146 pilots will continue to get the ca slots (they have to commute anyway) and 110 more of them will bump us less senior pilots down come next May. We have no official guarantee that US will take all 70 of our CRJ200's, although we still have the right to fly up to 70 jets for them. Of course you need to consider attrition as well. This all adds up to it being a crap shoot, but my glass is half empty, not half full right now. If you live in PHL, DC, or Norfolk VA your commute would be doable of course.

Right now I'm really better off going corporate. A good corporate job will net you at least RJ CA salary as an FO, more nights a home, better bennies, and no commute. It's a no brainer after you get over your ego driven airline pilot jet jockey dreams. Getting the 'good corporate job' is the trick, one many of us are trying to learn.

Very sound advice. You are tied to a company which is still bankrupt and could very easily be out of business in a year. What will 200 turbine PIC hours get you in the 121 world? Ask the former Indy Air CAs who are begging to fly for COEX, AE and MESA. Air Wizzers might think about 135 or corporate while they can.

miles otoole said:
Youare tied to a company which is still bankrupt and could very easily be out of business in a year. Air Wizzers might think about 135 or corporate while they can.

I'm sorry you didn't get hired by AW. Being an airline pilot is a profession not everyone 's cut out for. You have nothing to be ashamed of and can continue to make a valuable contribution to the general aviation industry. Best of luck to you.

crashpad said:
I'm sorry you didn't get hired by AW.

Aside from the possibly insulting use of the term "Air Wizzers", what did miles say that was so inaccurate or insulting that you felt it necessary to respond like that?

This is a regional board and I take it personal when pilots use fractus arguements to sell corporate flying. There's a night and day difference between the two, and yes, Airline Pilots ARE better!

Crossky said:
We have no official guarantee that US will take all 70 of our CRJ200's, although we still have the right to fly up to 70 jets for them.

Crosky, You are mistaken here. We have a guaranteed contract with Airways for 70 aircraft with the possibility for more. The 70 is not negotiable though. That changes things a bit from what you were saying.

crashpad said:
This is a regional board and I take it personal when pilots use fractus arguements to sell corporate flying. There's a night and day difference between the two, and yes, Airline Pilots ARE better!

We have close to a dozen ex-airline pilots where I work. I'm sure glad they don't share your attitude!

Latest resources

Back