• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Air Tran Pilots....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Melon, did you interview at Air Tran. If so how was the process?

A friend of mine did his interview in march, and got a class date in april. Be prepared to talk about your captain skills. How you handled adversity, crm with difficult crew members, emergencies. They have pretty fast upgrade times right now, so they want to know that you will be a good captain. That was his take. I think things are going pretty well there right now, hopefully they can reverse this quarters loss and move forward. Good luck!

UPS'er, you're a toolshed.

Here's how things break down, in a nutshell, if you don't follow the market:

AirTran quarterly loss was $8 Million Dollars this time last year on $300 Million in Revenue. Given that, they STILL made $2 Million dollars for the year as a whole.

AirTran flew 33% MORE passengers this year than last year for the 1st quarter, and lost only $4 Million dollars on over $400 Million in revenue (1/3 MORE revenue than last year).

For what it's worth, MOST airlines lose money in the 1st quarter. It sucks.

It's after the holidays, people aren't flying, fares are down, yields are down, it's generally a sh*tty time for revenue.

So, in plain English, AirTran had 1/3 MORE passengers for the 1st quarter 2006 than last year.

AirTran had 1/3 more Revenue for the 1st quarter 2006 than last year.

If all things were equal, AirTran SHOULD have lost 1/3 MORE this year than last year for this quarter,,, but they DIDN'T.

They lost less than HALF what they did last year, this quarter.

That means, in plain English, if revenue and PROFIT remain the SAME for this year as last, AirTran will make MORE money this year than last, to the tune of about $4 Million MORE.

For stock performance, AirTran is up roughly almost 10% or $1.10 from $13.40 on Monday when the quarter performance announcement was made to $14.60 per share as of noon today.

edit: DOH, the upgrades are NOT going to happen as quick as in the past. AirTran has over 1,000 pilots. 2 aircraft delivered per month, 24 aircraft per year, 4 years to upgrade for those of us hired right now.

Doesn't, however, change the interview. They're STILL focused on Captain skills and attitude with the ability to get along with EVERYONE and go the extra distance for the customers.

Good luck to all!

Last edited:
Hey Lear70...nice to see u back...i hope all that training is going well...i agree..Airtran will do just fine...

Training's going great, final systems written and prog check was Thurs and Friday (yesterday). Day off today, Oral tomorrow, then 8 days off before sims start (paid, so I don't mind at all). :)

Looking forward to getting back in the air. Even though upgrade's a little longer than I thought, I'm still happy to be here and I don't think AirTran's going anywhere anytime soon either.

Where've you been? Enjoying some of those 48 hour layovers in exotic countries?

Lear70 said:
Training's going great, final systems written and prog check was Thurs and Friday (yesterday). Day off today, Oral tomorrow, then 8 days off before sims start (paid, so I don't mind at all). :)

Looking forward to getting back in the air. Even though upgrade's a little longer than I thought, I'm still happy to be here and I don't think AirTran's going anywhere anytime soon either.

Where've you been? Enjoying some of those 48 hour layovers in exotic countries?

Duuuude!!!!

You must be gots like mad skillz if you be like on ole FligghtInfo during like da training cause dude, maybe it jus be dat I aint too bright and stuff, but like it was like I had to like be studyin alot and stuff.

Dude, you on dat 717 or like dat newew 737 with da Ty Webb?

Dude, Sink-Oh dee My-Oh waz like freakin craaazzzy!!!!!

Man ohn man oh man, I got to like go backs to bed!

Im like glad you at da Tranny Lear brother from another mother!

bestpilot said:
Duuuude!!!!

You must be gots like mad skillz if you be like on ole FligghtInfo during like da training cause dude, maybe it jus be dat I aint too bright and stuff, but like it was like I had to like be studyin alot and stuff.
Man, I've been studying my BUTT off. Morning, noon, and night... I've even been SLEEPING with the AOM under my pillow trying to do that osmosis learning thing. :)

Sometimes you just gotta take a break or that old noggin will be overheating and you'll flip out like that kid from Real Genius.

Glad you had a good Cinco de Mayo - I was returning some of the Mexican's good will and avoiding any Mexican food yesterday. Went to Hooters in Newnan instead, MUCH better experience, was even getting some studying done until a couple of the instructors showed up and came over, forcing me to close my books for a while. That was the end of studying until about noon today. ;)

Dude, you on dat 717 or like dat newew 737 with da Ty Webb?
Yup, pretty neat aircraft, but that FMS thing was kicking my TAIL for a while, pretty different than most of the Universal boxes.

Im like glad you at da Tranny Lear brother from another mother!
Thanks man, looking forward to meeting everyone on the line!

OK, back to the flip cards and walkaround CD-ROM.

Lear70 said:
Here's how things break down, in a nutshell, if you don't follow the market:

AirTran quarterly loss was $8 Million Dollars this time last year on $300 Million in Revenue. Given that, they STILL made $2 Million dollars for the year as a whole.

AirTran flew 33% MORE passengers this year than last year for the 1st quarter, and lost only $4 Million dollars on over $400 Million in revenue (1/3 MORE revenue than last year).

For what it's worth, MOST airlines lose money in the 1st quarter. It sucks.

It's after the holidays, people aren't flying, fares are down, yields are down, it's generally a sh*tty time for revenue.

So, in plain English, AirTran had 1/3 MORE passengers for the 1st quarter 2006 than last year.

AirTran had 1/3 more Revenue for the 1st quarter 2006 than last year.

If all things were equal, AirTran SHOULD have lost 1/3 MORE this year than last year for this quarter,,, but they DIDN'T.

They lost less than HALF what they did last year, this quarter.

That means, in plain English, if revenue and PROFIT remain the SAME for this year as last, AirTran will make MORE money this year than last, to the tune of about $4 Million MORE.

For stock performance, AirTran is up roughly almost 10% or $1.10 from $13.40 on Monday when the quarter performance announcement was made to $14.60 per share as of noon today.

edit: DOH, the upgrades are NOT going to happen as quick as in the past. AirTran has over 1,000 pilots. 2 aircraft delivered per month, 24 aircraft per year, 4 years to upgrade for those of us hired right now.

Doesn't, however, change the interview. They're STILL focused on Captain skills and attitude with the ability to get along with EVERYONE and go the extra distance for the customers.

It's nice to see you have moved on to be the Airtran 'Know-It-All' instead of the red-tail 'Know-It-All'

DeucesWild said:
It's nice to see you have moved on to be the Airtran 'Know-It-All' instead of the red-tail 'Know-It-All'
Don't hate the playa'... ;)

Very FAR from knowing it all, just setting the record straight on loss/revenue/haters/airTran bashers. You'll notice I haven't chimed in at all on the 2 or 3 union fight threads at airTran - don't know enough about it to make any educated inputs. Financials are easy, I've been studying those most of my life.

Maybe you should take an anger management course or something. :)

Have a great week!

Latest resources

Back