• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Air Grand Canyon

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
and by the way "oo dog" what a neat pix of the airplane that fed my family and paid my bills so faithfully....

It's the only way to go...

I just had to add to this one....no prizes for guessing what the "GC" stands for at the end of my screen-name.

Flying the ditch is the best job you can get for preparing yourself for whiney, pain in the ass passengers who have way too much cash to throw around. I never flew for AGC directly, but they borrowed pilots from my company when they were short. Those bright green 207's (normally aspirated may I add) are great to fly. You will learn a ton of information on what density altitude "really" means, how do fit fat people on little seats without a seatbelt extension and how to reach for a sick sack while trying to flare.

Seriously for a second though, it's a great job. You meet a great bunch of people and fly over some of the most interesting terrain in the country.

Oh, and if your REALLY lucky, you'll get to fly with the same two female pax I had one day....who were more interested in themselves than they were the canyon!

Dave

The 207 is a darn fine airplane...very well suited for rough fields, back country flying, and is a great tour airplane, too.

GulfPilot you are right about the paying your dues part. I had a ton of fun flying the ditch. Going in and out of small tight dirt strips was the best. If you ever flew 9100D then you know what I meant. Flying the ditch was a great and wonderful oppertunity. It was a lucky break for a guy who only had 504 hours TT. It was also the hardest period of my life. Not because of the job or the aircraft, it was a lot of things. I learned a great deal and made a lot of good friends. Every time I fly over the canyon I develop a wicked smile and just have to laugh. I will never forget where I have come from or what it has taken to get to this point. It has been anything but an easy road. One that I wouldn't change if I could.

If you want to talk about fav ditch running aircraft....67L (C-206) at LMA is one of the all time best. In fact if I could, I would find it and buy it!

Interesting timing of this thread. Just last week, I flew directly over GCN at 390. I swear I almost cried. It was the first time I've seen the ditch since my last Blue 2. The self-proclaimed "old fart" is right . . . enjoy it while you're doing it, and take lots of pictures! It's only been 4.5 years for me & I already miss it . . . well, some of it. ;)

LMA reunion

I was there around 84. I remember 00D but it didn't fly much....not sure why. I was never on Earl's happy list so I hardly ever flew the 207's. I remember a nice turbo 206 that didn't fly much and the other one...might have been 67L. I got some time in that one. I flew the 172's a lot, too...did I mention I wasn't on Earl's happy list. I liked the 172's, you could talk to everyone and it was more personal.

I once had a lady refuse to fly with me because I looked too young.

I once landed at Temple Bar to let these drunk guys pee.....haha...that was way funny. I always told guys to pee before you go but those guys didn't listen and I think they must have drank a lot of beer or something. They gave me a tip.

I once had a 207, with fat folks in the back, sit down on it's tail on the ramp after shutdown. They thought it was funny. I laughed it off like it happens all the time. Earl just shook his head but didn't get really mad.

Back in the day, we could fly right down on the river in the west end....very cool.

I had a falling out with Earl and Art when I quit before my year was up to work for the FAA. How many of you guys had to promise to stay a year?

LMA was a great first real job for me.....awesome flying I'll never forget. Those feelings are tempered by the memory of my bosses......

Sandy was one kick ass mechanic, though.....

What ever happened to Sandy, Earl, and Art?

There was a lifer named Jeff, I remember and this really pumped dude named Bruce. I heard he got on with Skywest.

My roomate Scot married a local gal from the Tasty Freeze.

Any of that sound familar to you guys?

I think Earl would roll over in his grave and say "Gawd damm, prima donna, airline pilots" if he knew what had become of me.

I go to 757 school in March.

All ACG 207s are Turboed. The 182's are normal, but never had any performance problems inthe 82. Even on hot days with 3 pax and full fuel.

I would have to say that my time at LMA was much like that of de727ups. I was told by a guy named Jeff who was turning wrenches and later became a pilot that Earl picked one guy to make an example of each year and that he hadn't seen Earl be as hard on anyone as he had me. Earl held me back a great deal and even Mark (Earls son) didn't know why. I passed every flight check with flying colors and never had any problems. One pilot put a 207 in a ditch and nearly tore the right main off the plane yet and Earl didn't say a word about it. The same guy later took out the left wing tip on a 172 when he hit the hanger. Again Earl said nothing and never held it against the guy. I was just amazed that stuff like that went on. My validation came after my LMA days when about 5 of the guys I worked with got together foor a few beers at the Stage Coach. It was nice to hear the good things they had to say about me and what I had been through. In the end it was a good lesson I suppose.

I too had some great flights. I love the summer flying and the fact that some many of the female pax's don't wear underwear. I even had one lady stick her bare butt on the windshield of a 206 and moon the pilot of a 207. Needless to say Tim got closer than I thought possible. I am sure there are a million tales just like that.

I made the 6 month commitment and stayed right to the day. Earl was pissed when I left and held my final pay check for almost a month. Lots of guys left early most of whom had Earls blessing.

Not sure what happened to Earl, Sandy, or Art. One things for sure. I will always hear Earls voice in my head saying.....G*d D@mmit!

How many hours could one expect to fly a day?

The SFAR allows only operations for certain hours a day. You can't be in the corridors before 8 or after 6 (in the summer) so you only have a 10 hour window. But in the busy season you can get in a full 8 hours easy.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back