Air France

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
XTW said:
It used to be "605/805", that is of course, until I upgraded to FO!;) It ruined everything when they decided to add the page # and date to the briefing. It doubled the time required to do the brief!

X

ahh yes... good ol' AA procedures, briefing everything to death. you'll be glad to know that we (thankfully!) adopted the TWA style takeoff brief - ready for this? - AT THE GATE! We also now just brief the basics on a visual, instead of the whole approach, chart notams, taxiway closures and the price of eggs in china.

Gearmonkey said:
Wonder if it had to do with the runways not being grooved? I've skated down 5/23 and 6R at YYZ a few times when it was wet.
I'm guessing it has more to do with TRYING TO LAND UNDER A FREAKING SEVERE THUNDERSTORM!!!!
Fox News weather guy re-wound the weather for the airport and the radar showed a big 'ole RED BLOB over the airport and their time of landing. . .

I was watching coverage of the plane crash on Fox News. Shepard Smith was discussing how the A340, which was carrying jet fuel, burst into flames after it ran off the runway. He actually made this statement:
“One can only assume that after a flight from Paris to Canada, that the aircraft would have less fuel onboard after landing than it did on takeoff.”

That Shepard Smith is a pretty smart character

Typical media (especially Fox) showing their vast (Idiotic) knowlege of a news story!!!!
Does not surprise me that (Shepard Smith) would open his mouth before he thought about what he was going to say!!!
That goes for the rest of these media types.
Thank God nobody perished in this unfortunate incident-and lets get the facts (let the investigation team sort it out) before we start assuming WHAT HAPPENED??

Last edited:
klhoard said:
I'm guessing it has more to do with TRYING TO LAND UNDER A FREAKING SEVERE THUNDERSTORM!!!!

Looks like the Jazz RJ ahead made it ok, and the KLM Heavy following was attempting the same. Crazy french, canadians and dutch, huh? Oh, and I heard a Lufthansa was ahead the Jazz. Stupid germans.

klhoard said:
Fox News weather guy re-wound the weather for the airport and the radar showed a big 'ole RED BLOB over the airport and their time of landing

And that's the reason why there were no american planes on the approach. They always call Fox first on the satcom for a weather update.

:rolleyes:

T45Flyer said:
Way to go Flight Attendents! That is truly amazing that no one was killed when you look at that aircraft.

Flight Attendants?? I'd bet everybody got out OK because the friggin' thing broke in half. Ever notice that, historically, an airplane that is basically in one piece and onfire always has high fatalities, where the ones that come unzipped first usually have LOW fatalities? Yeah, I'm betting that these pax didn't all use the exits in an orderly fashion as directed by the FA's. Lets also not forget that people, when placed into extremely dangerous situations in large groups, panic moreso than cattle. This makes the FA's chance of successfully leading a calm, organized evacuation slim to nil. Remeber, when they do the certification Evac tests on airplanes, the people doing them know ahead of time why they're there.

sleddriver77 said:
Flight Attendants?? I'd bet everybody got out OK because the friggin' thing broke in half. Ever notice that, historically, an airplane that is basically in one piece and onfire always has high fatalities, where the ones that come unzipped first usually have LOW fatalities? Yeah, I'm betting that these pax didn't all use the exits in an orderly fashion as directed by the FA's. Lets also not forget that people, when placed into extremely dangerous situations in large groups, panic moreso than cattle. This makes the FA's chance of successfully leading a calm, organized evacuation slim to nil. Remeber, when they do the certification Evac tests on airplanes, the people doing them know ahead of time why they're there.

Well said!!

Congrats to the passengers for getting their asses off the plane instead of trying to locate their louis vuitton carry-ons.

Seen the camera phone pics of the evac as it happened, the plane looked intact and people were jumping out the doors. Fire was burning on the left engines.

Everett Howe said:
Looks like the Jazz RJ ahead made it ok, and the KLM Heavy following was attempting the same. Crazy french, canadians and dutch, huh? Oh, and I heard a Lufthansa was ahead the Jazz. Stupid germans.

And that's the reason why there were no american planes on the approach. They always call Fox first on the satcom for a weather update.

:rolleyes:
What - Ev. . . .
Just because everyone else was jumping off the bridge doesn't mean you have to as well. . . .
Perhaps the American crews were smart enough to turn on their radar. . .

Last edited:
Erndogg said:
Typical media (especially Fox) showing their vast (Idiotic) knowlege of a news story!!!!
Does not surprise me that (Shepard Smith) would open his mouth before he thought about what he was going to say!!!
That goes for the rest of these media types.
Thank God nobody perished in this unfortunate incident-and lets get the facts (let the investigation team sort it out) before we start assuming WHAT HAPPENED??

If the media are idiots based on their lack of subject knowledge, is there a word to describe these "professional pilots" as they attempted to land in this, no less 2/3 of the way down the runway?

chperplt said:
. . .<snip>. .

Great job by the CFR guys!! On the scene in 50 seconds!
The fire chief must have seen all of those planes trying to land and had his boys already in the trucks. . .

Latest resources

Back