Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Air France tail found. Wow looks like a clean break....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Post deleted.....since I just caught myself speculating before the facts are in.

Last edited:
I don't fly an Airbus but I hear that the guys that do fly it, like it. However, it appears the thing is too automated - two down in just a few months - and now the structural design is in question. I never did buy the idea that a foot happy f/o brought down an airliner!

Boeing stock is up 10% since this crash.

I know what I won't be bidding - when I get the chance!

I don't fly an Airbus but I hear that the guys that do fly it, like it. However, it appears the thing is too automated - two down in just a few months - and now the structural design is in question. I never did buy the idea that a foot happy f/o brought down an airliner!

Boeing stock is up 10% since this crash.

I know what I won't be bidding - when I get the chance!

Boeing stock is up because the 787 flight test program is projected to start this month.

I believe the perspective is off in that otherwise stellar overlay that someone did. The pictures of the tail in the ocean seem to throw off the perspective quite a bit. Very good effort, though.

It appears (when looking at other pictures of AF 330s) that it did broke off lower down and at the approximate attach points.

All speculation, obviously....but this will be a key point in the investigation if it did break off at the attach points.

Both the 330 and 300 are composite. What will be tell-tale is where the vert stab/rudder is located in proximity to the rest of the wreckage.

Then you end up with the question of whether the accident was causedby it separating or whether the already dying/dead airplane caused the tail to separate.... or whether it was just sheered off when it impacted the water.

Regardless.... that is a super clean break and the rudder even remained intact.

Good point-

I noticed that the rudder was still attached as well. I'll bet they will be able to figure out pretty quickly how it came apart. I do hope they can find the FDR. The tail may have come off for several reasons, but I sure would like to see if that prior problem with one of the pitot tubes could have had something to do with it.

It is unlikely that they will be able to gleam much info from this piece alone. One piece of a puzzle doesn't paint a picture. What they need is the magic boxes and the worlds most talented deep sea salvige teams will be on scene in a few short hours;
The Navy.

I do recall two 737s going down due to rudder problems.
I don't think one manufacturer has it perfect on everything.

I agree, but someone should tell Airbus, ALL their problems are always pilot error, sometimes like in Toronto its airport error.

Latest resources

Back