• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Air France Flight Missing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As this film suggests I find another plausible explanation in the inability of the crew to detect the thunderstorm as a classic example of radar attenuation and inadvertent flight into an area of extreme turbulence and supercooled precipitation. Believe it or not RADAR is the most MISUSED and Misunderstood instrument by pilots around the world. With no ground based reference (ground clutter) to distinguish radar returns or improper tilt management, flying over the ocean in a non reflective environment, approaching a super storm that fully attenuates the radar return could cause a crew to fly directly into thunderstorm causing the pitot systems failure and subsequent chain of events. This is where REAL TIME topographical weather depiction and resources could be vital to circumnavigation for pilots. I personally am floored at the number of pilots I fly with who have little knowledge or radar technology and more important how frequently they are misusing it putting themselves at risk.

agreed-IF these investigators are correct, not fully understanding the airbus system faults and associated emergency procedures contributed to this accident.

Believe it or not RADAR is the most MISUSED and Misunderstood instrument by pilots around the world. With no ground based reference (ground clutter) to distinguish radar returns or improper tilt management, flying over the ocean in a non reflective environment, approaching a super storm that fully attenuates the radar return could cause a crew to fly directly into thunderstorm causing the pitot systems failure and subsequent chain of events.

I'm not looking for a lesson in radar use, but what do you think are common ways "pilots around the world" misuse their radar. What expert advise can you offer that might have prevented this accident?

Not understanding how the returns have been attenuated by various factors and flying into something that they should not have.

There is a massive amount of information that you can get from a weather radar, when you know how to use it, when you understand what you are seeing, and when you understand what you are not seeing.

I'm not looking for a lesson in radar use, but what do you think are common ways "pilots around the world" misuse their radar. What expert advise can you offer that might have prevented this accident?

The problem is flying over massive bodies of water with no ability to utilize purposeful painting of ground return in order to detect areas of attenuating precipitaion. Many radars have self detecting attenuation functions but I am not totally familiar with AirBus radar. Also improper tilt management could cause the crew to direct the radar to the areas of the thunderstorm that ARE NOT reflective IE upper level frozen precipitation And the closer an aircraft becomes to the target the more the target is below and out of the radar beam's useful width. As you move closer to a target watch your radar and see that it is actually appearing to dissipate in intensity giving you the false appearance you are going to "top" the weather. In fact your radar beam is moving higher into the storm the closer your aircraft becomes so in fact tilting DOWN is necessary to detect the lower level reflective moisture. If modern day airliners had a real time topographical imagery and overlay capabilities they would be better armed to formulate deviation courses and areas of undetectable severe weather.

Last edited:
As you move closer to a target watch your radar and see that it is actually appearing to dissipate in intensity giving you the false appearance you are going to "top" the weather.

I've been doing this for twenty five years plus and have never seen anyone try to "top" a storm based on radar returns. If you have actually seen that attempted, I feel sorry for you.

I've been doing this for twenty five years plus and have never seen anyone try to "top" a storm based on radar returns. If you have actually seen that attempted, I feel sorry for you.

Had a guy do that to me last summer. Super-senior desk-type. Rattled off these formulas and whatnot as we're heading toward a cell. I asked which way he wanted to go. Left or right? "Nope, we'll be over it. All the bad stuff is below us."

I didn't think it was going to be good, but I didn't think it was going to be real bad, either. I just cinched my seatbelt and watched the magic happen.

I think a few dry-cleaning coupons were issued.

What real time topographical info could be available over the ocean?
It does amaze me that many cessnas have better weather information

What real time topographical info could be available over the ocean?
It does amaze me that many cessnas have better weather information

Does it really amaze you? Always follow the money. Always.

Radar is not that hard to understand. If the captain was taking his rest the ability of the two in the cockpit would indicate how they knew how to operate the radar. The new generation pilots aren't really qualified pilots. They just passed the tests.

Latest resources

Back