• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Air France Flight Missing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Pitch and power should keep you flying if you know how to do it. We had charts for unreliable airspeed in our airplanes. Do the new pilots know how to do it? Training now is so condensced I don't think so. Cost control is causing the airlines to save money by minimum training. The captain was in back taking his break probably so the new guys were flying the airplane with what knowledge they knew of flying attitude and power. Probably none.

I don't know why these guys didn't go around. My rule is simple: "If it looks bad I'm taking it around."

Pitch and power should keep you flying if you know how to do it. We had charts for unreliable airspeed in our airplanes. Do the new pilots know how to do it? Training now is so condensced I don't think so. Cost control is causing the airlines to save money by minimum training. The captain was in back taking his break probably so the new guys were flying the airplane with what knowledge they knew of flying attitude and power. Probably none.

Yes, we're all familiar with the unreliable airspeed charts. Totally useless in severe turbulence, which the wx indicated they were likely in.

Nova: Crash of Flight 447 premiers on 2/16/11. You can watch it now on Netflix.

Although the "black boxes" haven't been found, Nova did a pretty good job of coming up with one compelling reason for the crash.

If you lost your airspeed indicators at altitude, would you know what thrust and pitch attitude to maintain?

Very interesting program, I have watched it on Netflix twice. Although it is only a hypothesis, it really makes you wonder what you would do/ how you would react in that situation.

Thoughts.... I don't believe the 'simulator re-creation' shown by Airbus experts accurately reflects the severe turbulence conditions or the level of stress encountered by the aircrew during this dire situation. That is one thing that bothered me- very obvious that Airbus was trying to redirect blame to pilot error.

Very interesting program, I have watched it on Netflix twice. Although it is only a hypothesis, it really makes you wonder what you would do/ how you would react in that situation.

Thoughts.... I don't believe the 'simulator re-creation' shown by Airbus experts accurately reflects the severe turbulence conditions or the level of stress encountered by the aircrew during this dire situation. That is one thing that bothered me- very obvious that Airbus was trying to redirect blame to pilot error.

I don't think putting two check captains in a sim and trying to recreate any situation demonstrates what the average line pilot would do during an emergency on a line flight. In a sim, we are all spring loaded for disaster to strike. In real life, we become complacent, which is a killer.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/space/crash-flight-447.html

Here's the Nova video. Watch beginning minute 37.
Forensic analysts speculate that when they entered the TS, they set reduced thrust, however, in the Airbus, the Thrust Levers don't move. When they received the multiple failures, they became task saturated and more than likely forgot about the autothrust or lack thereof which led to an unrecoverable stall.
In few other similar situations, according to the video, it has been reported that in 10 previous cases of reported pitot failure, it took 5 crews more than 60 seconds to recognize and control thrust.
"In similar prior incidents, pilots don't follow standard operating procedures by taking immediate control of the vital thrust levers. Crews can be very slow to getting on the thrust levers manually which is very essential to maintain a decent airspeed."

Last edited:
As this film suggests I find another plausible explanation in the inability of the crew to detect the thunderstorm as a classic example of radar attenuation and inadvertent flight into an area of extreme turbulence and supercooled precipitation. Believe it or not RADAR is the most MISUSED and Misunderstood instrument by pilots around the world. With no ground based reference (ground clutter) to distinguish radar returns or improper tilt management, flying over the ocean in a non reflective environment, approaching a super storm that fully attenuates the radar return could cause a crew to fly directly into thunderstorm causing the pitot systems failure and subsequent chain of events. This is where REAL TIME topographical weather depiction and resources could be vital to circumnavigation for pilots. I personally am floored at the number of pilots I fly with who have little knowledge or radar technology and more important how frequently they are misusing it putting themselves at risk.

Latest resources

Back