Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dabandermac

fratdaddy
Alright.... i'm considering the Air Force and Coast Guard after getting my BS. I understand that these two branches differ greatly in size, aircraft, and commitment; however, I would like some information on the quality of life, rate of promotion, and any other info. that may be helpful in making my decision a bit easier.

Which service would be easier on the family? Do you have any regrets on choosing your particular branch and wish you would have chosen AF or CG instead? How much flying time are you getting in your particular aircraft? These are just a couple questions I have, but feel free to provide as much info. as possible.

Thanks in advance. -CV

I guess it's kind of like comparing Pee Wee Herman to Richard Simmons, don't you think?

That's my joke for the day, good luck on either choice.

One issue to consider about Navy/Coast Guard flying is there is a lot of rotary wing vice fixed wing requirements.

I also considered Coast Guard...neat mission, fired up troops, and you can count on being near the Ocean (which I love). In the end, I thought the AF offered more flying options, and it has been wonderful to me. As long as you understand you may end up in helos (which I'm not bashing....that's pretty neat stuff!) you'll be a winner either way. The Coast Guard saves lives every day, and the AF does a million different exciting missions. Either way...you'll be doing a great job for the country. Some questions to ask: How important is living near the water to you? How much flying and what kind of time do you want?

Scoff

Well, well, well...interesting comments from the junior ranks...
I guess it's kind of like comparing Pee Wee Herman to Richard Simmons, don't you think?
ahh, no I don't think.
The Air Force is just an over rated flying club...
Your vast military experience, pilot training in Mississippi, qualifies you make that statement. I scoff heavily. I'm on a layover in the Middle East right now. Dude, you need to get overseas and see the huge logistical train that's in motion out here. The Air Force is non-stop and it's very impressive to see the operation, planes coming and going at all hours of the day and night. I was talking to a 1Lt, the other night, as he was preparing to take his C-17 into Baghdad, lights out wearing NVGs. Meanwhile, two F-15Es were taking off, their afterburners illuminating the darkened runway, on a mission to provide protection to our troops on the ground. A flying club...someone get me a bucket.

I had a buddy who went to flight school with the Coast Guard - he had to spend two years as a regular officer attached to a rescue base BEFORE he could start flight school. Don't know if it still works that way or whether you can go directly to Pensacola after commissioning.

AlbieF15 said:
One issue to consider about Navy/Coast Guard flying is there is a lot of rotary wing vice fixed wing requirements.

I also considered Coast Guard...neat mission, fired up troops, and you can count on being near the Ocean (which I love). In the end, I thought the AF offered more flying options, and it has been wonderful to me. As long as you understand you may end up in helos (which I'm not bashing....that's pretty neat stuff!) you'll be a winner either way. The Coast Guard saves lives every day, and the AF does a million different exciting missions. Either way...you'll be doing a great job for the country. Some questions to ask: How important is living near the water to you? How much flying and what kind of time do you want?

Naturally, my preference would be to fly fixed wing, and I understand that I may be assigned a rotary aircraft. I'm going to enter the service with probably over 100 hours in fixed wing aircraft so I that may help my odds. Anyhow, I'd be happy flying whatever as I've heard it's not uncommon to switch from rotar to fixed, and vice versa. Living near the water in the US would be a plus, but various missions overseas would make for a challanging/interesting experience.

7KCAB said:
I had a buddy who went to flight school with the Coast Guard - he had to spend two years as a regular officer attached to a rescue base BEFORE he could start flight school. Don't know if it still works that way or whether you can go directly to Pensacola after commissioning.

I will hopefully get guarenteed flight thru the Blue 21 program *fingers crossed*. I'm going to schedule visits with a couple CG air stations, too.

Last edited:
What nobody is saying

If your motivation is solely for the quality of flight training you will receive and how much you will fly, in what platform, don't go into the services.

If I am including you in the group of people who go into service for these considerations in error, I apologize. But if you are motivated by these things, you would be better off just training and working civilian.

The only valid reason to go into service is that you want to be a military officer. That will be your job. Any flying you do will be incidental. If you can accept this fact and still proceed, good for you. Military service is an obligation of citizenship that very few nowadays take up. And, there is a war going on that is every bit as serious and important to our country as WW II or the cold war.

Having said all this, if you are still motivated to proceed, remember that the Air Force's mission is to fly, and everyone in the Air Force either flies, or supports the flying in some way. All the other services have primary missions other than flying, and the flying that goes on in those services supports the primary mission. These facts make a huge difference.

Last edited:
Patmack18 said:
Personally... given the choices I'd take the Coast Guard. Go fly helos... awsome locations... you WILL see action for which you're trained... awsome locations... they also have Herc's and Falcon Jets, plus the new Sting Ray "attack" helo... Awsome locations...

The Air Force is just an over rated flying club... whew... I'm gona get flamed for that one!
I have to join in with CCDiscoB on this one. It's all a matter of perspective. Getting career advice from a butter bar still in pilot training is really digging. Any location other than a naval base in MS is an "Awesome location" (been there). As usual, Albie gives you some wise words. Just remember, once you are "in," the needs of the AF or CG will come first and your desires will be considered as long as it fills the needs of the AF or CG. Both will say, "you can change later" but don't bet your last nickel on it. Also, having 100 hours in anything will have little if any effect on where you get placed. It is time from "a previous life" and doesn't count for anything in the service. Decide which type of flying and/or lifestyle you want to do and go where the odds will be in your favor. Both are fine services and will provide a rewarding career. Good luck and Merry Christmas.

onthebeach said:
If your motivation is solely for the quality of flight training you will receive and how much you will fly, in what platform, don't go into the services.

If I am including you in the group of people who go into service for these considerations in error, I apologize. But if you are motivated by these things, you would be better off just training and working civilian.

The only valid reason to go into service is that you want to be a military officer. That will be your job. Any flying you do will be incidental. If you can accept this fact and still proceed, good for you. Military service is an obligation of citizenship that very few nowadays take up. And, there is a war going on that is every bit as serious and important to our country as WW II or the cold war.

Having said all this, if you are still motivated to proceed, remember that the Air Force's mission is to fly, and everyone in the Air Force either flies, or supports the flying in some way. All the other services have primary missions other than flying, and the flying that goes on in those services supports the primary mission. These facts make a huge difference.

I understand where you are coming from....many people underestimate the seriousness of the service, and take it as a shortcut to build flying hours. With that being said....

Would I like exceptional/free training and flight hours? Yes. Do I want job security for the next 10 years? Yep. Would I want to pay ~$60k in flight training civilian style and then spend 5-10 years making ~25k/yr? Hell no. Do I understand the seriousness of the missions I will be responsible for in the CG or AF? You better believe it. Am I willing to be an officer 1st, and an aviator 2nd? Whatever duty calls for.

I was joking.........sort of........who he picks is of no importance to me. I do agree with his last statement, many people on the internet throw around "you gotta want to serve your country soldier" and that getting one of those SEXY blue Air Farce suits is just a bonus, yet darn near all the AF guys I know joined up for the reasons Dabandermac states in his last post.

Pat, TBS starts Jan. 10th, I guess if we were all REAL patriotic, we'd suck up 10 weeks of training, screening, and evaluating....or....you could just join someone else and pretend.

BTW, it's great to be back in the constant slam called the internet.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back