Air Force vs. Coast Guard

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
TonyC said:
Well, if you weren't trip-turnin' on Saturdays, what else could ya do? As I recall, that was the best gig goin' in Enid. :)
I always thought it was CT cross-country on the weekends. Or better yet, during the week!

Falconjet,

This year was the first year the Academy Cadets were not required to complete 2 years in the fleet before moving on.

New graduates are now allowed to compete for multiple career paths including aviation right out of the gate.

Hugh Jorgan said:
I always thought it was CT cross-country on the weekends. Or better yet, during the week!
CT every 3 day weekend. In a T-1 its like playing millionaire.

Nothing Like trapesing across the ramp with golf clubs in tow, or skis if you're going to Eagle. One of the last good deals going.

Of course it depends on your DO.

talondriver said:
There are rumors that AETC may open up another IFF squadron to accomodate. Just a rumor.
Opening up another IFF squadron isn't the solution since IFF (Moody, for the most part) isn't the constriction in the pipeline. In fact, AETC reduced the number of students that we will put through this year. I could go into the history behind the smoke and mirrors that got us to this point, but, for now, suffice it to say that one of the RTU's is undergoing a major aircraft update that is significantly reducing their capability to train. You squeeze the flow through the pipeline at the end and the the students back up through the entire system. Our graduates are sitting here for longer periods of time as well.

HueyPilot said:
I'd say that either choice would be a good one. The CG does alot of "good" missions, and especially if you fly the helos, you'll see immediate results of your work (ie, rescuing people). But as mentioned before, your chances of flying FW are much lower.

I certainly won't ding helo folks...I flew helicopters for nearly 4 years, and loved every minute of it. In fact I tried to get into the CG through the DCA program, but I wasn't competitive with my measley 350 hours of helo time. Now I'm flying -130s in the Air Force and I love this job too.

All in all, I think you'll enjoy either service. I wouldn't recommend the Navy to anyone unless they just fell in love with the idea of carrier aviation. In my view, USN facilities are the pits and their aircraft aren't kept up like USAF aircraft (I flew C-21s to USN bases all over, and I saw it with my own eyes...just my observations, not intended to say USN pilots aren't the professionals they are). And to fly for the USMC, I'd say you need to be very motivated to be a Marine first.

But between the USCG and the USAF, I'd say both are services with good aircraft, good missions, and good facilities (it's easy to keep USCG facilities nice since they are typically small facilities). And home life is probably best with both of those services.

As for doing a non-flying tour prior to flight training, don't sweat it. Look at it as an opportunity to understand the other missions within the service. That way when you're out there flying your HH-65 on a mission, you have some idea what's going on down there aboard that cutter. As it was said before, it's usually not that hard to get into flight training, you just might not get there right away. Has more to do with training slot quotas than anything else.

As for the whole notion that someone who enters the military with the idea of one day flying for the airlines is somehow "selfish", go shutup and color. Hell, we all can't serve for 40+ years...gotta feed momma and the kids somehow. The airlines provide many ex-military airplane drivers with a good career post-military service. I won't deny that my goal is to fly for an airline at some point. And if anyone wants to denigrate my 13+ years of service I have at this point in my life because I'm "selfish" in seeing myself wearing an airline uniform at some point...well, they can honestly go f*** themselves.

The fact that this young man wants to give 8+ years of his life to serving his country and earning flying training along the way is much more than the average college kid would ever dream of doing in his lifetime. Kudos to you, and if you want to one day fly for an airline, then that's fine. Just remember that when you wear the uniform of either the USAF or the USCG, wear it proudly and serve our nation well, as I'm sure you will.

Just one last tidbit...if you seriously want an airline career post-military, then go USAF, simply because 90% of what they have are FW aircraft. You CAN get to the airlines flying even helos with the USCG, but that route is harder, and you'd have to find some FW ME time somewhere (probably at your expense). Some regionals will allow some or all of your RW time to count towards total time requirements, but the multi-engine FW requirements (between 100-250 hours of ME time) are standard at just about every airline. You gotta have those. And as for Majors...I don't know of any that will allow any RW time to count towards hiring minimums. So you'd have to go to a regional or corporate job to get the FW turbine PIC time. Just my .02 cents on that issue.
hueypilot.... thanks for the encouragement + advice. it means a lot for someone to understand where i'm coming from. my 'rents are expecting me to go to med school (i've aced all the pre-reqs and the mcat), but all I want to do is fly AF or CG. hopefully everything works out for the best. i'm leaning towards the AF.

are you waiting for the airlines to start hiring and serve 7+ years in the reserves once you get an airline job? just wondering.

For the entertainment value:

USN or USAF?

by Bob Norris

Bob Norris is a former Naval aviator who did a three year exchange tour flying the F-15 Eagle. He is now an accomplished author of entertaining books about US Naval Aviation including "Check Six" and "Fly-Off". In

response to a letter from an aspiring fighter pilot on which military academy to attend, Bob replied with the following.

12 Feb 04

Young Man,

Congratulations on your selection to both the Naval and Air Force Academies. Your goal of becoming a fighter pilot is impressive and a fine way to serve your country. As you requested, I'd be happy to share some insight into which service would be the best choice. Each service has a distinctly different culture. You need to ask yourself "Which one am I more likely to thrive in?"

USAF Snapshot: The USAF is exceptionally well organized and well run. Their training programs are terrific. All pilots are groomed to meet high standards for knowledge and professionalism. Their aircraft are top-notch and extremely well maintained. Their facilities are excellent. Their enlisted personnel are the brightest and the best trained. The USAF is homogenous and macro. No matter where you go, you'll know what to expect, what is expected of you, and you'll be given the training & tools you need to meet those expectations. You will never be put in a situation over your head. Over a 20-year career, you will be home for most important family events. Your Mom would want you to be an Air Force pilot...so would your wife. Your Dad would want your sister to marry one.

Navy Snapshot: Aviators are part of the Navy, but so are black shoes (surface warfare) and bubble heads (submariners). Furthermore, the Navy is split into two distinctly different Fleets (West and East Coast). The Navy is heterogeneous and micro. Your squadron is your home; it may be great, average, or awful. A squadron can go from one extreme to the other before you know it. You will spend months preparing for cruise and months on cruise. The quality of the aircraft varies directly with the availability of parts, Senior Navy enlisted are salt of the earth; you'll be proud if you earn their respect. Junior enlisted vary from terrific to the troubled kid the judge made join the service. You will be given the opportunity to lead these people during your career; you will be humbled and get your hands dirty. The quality of your training will vary and sometimes you will be over your head. You will miss many important family events. There will be long stretches of tedious duty aboard ship. You will fly in very bad weather and/or at night and you will be scared many times.

You will fly with legends in the Navy and they will kick your ass until you become a lethal force. And some days - when the scheduling Gods have smiled upon you - your jet will catapult into a glorious morning over a far-away sea and you will be drop-jawed that someone would pay you to do it. The hottest girl in the bar wants to meet the Naval Aviator. That bar is in Singapore.

Bottom line, son, if you gotta ask...pack warm & good luck in Colorado.

Banzai

P.S. Air Force pilots wear scarves and iron their flight suits.

are you waiting for the airlines to start hiring and serve 7+ years in the reserves once you get an airline job?

I have a 10 year commitment, that expires in 2011. I could probably Palace Chase now considering the new "force shaping" program they have, but I'll stick with the AF for now. I want to fly AFSOC for at least a tour or two...do my part hunting down those al Qaeda jackarses, then go back to the real world at some point.

Latest resources

Back