• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Air Force Refueling and Atlas Air

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think that the company or one of it's subsidiaries is based in Ireland, but I'm pretty sure just about everyone on the refueling side is ex KC135. Not first hand info, but from a friend of a friend.

It makes sense and the military has not been shy about using civilian contractors in general. If the $17.50 a gallon vs $7 gallons is true, then it makes even more sense, after all, that would allow the armed services to focus $ were it is needed more.

Plenty of MAC operators out there hauling anything from troops, to bombs to toilet paper. For better or worse, it seem that civilian contractors operates at a higher dispatch rate, of course, the conditions they operate under are less trying.

I am surprised no one has bought some C-17 and operated those for the military, seems like that could be a money maker.

I am surprised no one has bought some C-17 and operated those for the military, seems like that could be a money maker.

There was some talk of it last year, but the C-17 isn't a certified aircraft. The costs of certification would be too high for so few orders.

Not to mention that you can't fly it across the NAT without a tanker...
I don't believe that. You're telling me the C-17 can't cross the North Atlantic without a tanker, why because of of HF or fuel range?
...all the money the government throws away... and they decide to try and save some on things like this??
I think its a great idea. If they want to throw money at a project, let the airlines catch it. I'd like to see World throw their hat into this project.

the c-17 can make it eastbound depending on where it departed from, as long as its not fully loaded with cargo. westbound normally come back with minimal cargo so it doesnt need to hit a tanker.

the biggest problem with the C-17 is that it cruises too slow for the NATS (.76 or .78 depending on what theyre filed at) and therefore they get held down at lower altitudes which screws the fuel thing even worse

Does anyone work for or know anyone that works for Omega? I noticed under the 'employment inquiries' that they do not have "defined benefits" or "monthly guarantee of work." I'm wondering if this would be decent side job for a regional/guard type on the days off.

Does anyone work for or know anyone that works for Omega? I noticed under the 'employment inquiries' that they do not have "defined benefits" or "monthly guarantee of work." I'm wondering if this would be decent side job for a regional/guard type on the days off.

From what I understand, they are contract pilots and when the Navy has money, you work. Otherwise you don't get paid.

Latest resources

Back