Air Force Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Join the Guard or Reserve

Dont want the 10 year comittment...Dont want to fly a desk...want a guaranteed pilot slot...If you don'tr make it through pilot training you can quit...want to be able to fly when you want after pilot training? Join the guard or reserves man! I wish I would have known that before I busted my ass competing for a pilot slot on active duty 12 years ago. I am a reservist now and we send you guys to AF pilot training off the street via OTS or AMS. What a deal to know your airplane before you go and to know the job you will be doing when you return. After pilot training you normally get a year's worth or orders to...you guessed it...fly. After that you can usually fly trips whenever you want. Get your hours, serve you country as a true citizen soldier and land you airline job when you get your time...and guess what...after you land your airline job, you can still fly for the military as a volunteer soldier. Call your local guard or reserve AF Base and go to lunch with those guys during one of their weekend drills and get the scoop. Its a great way to serve while making your family and civilian job primary. Its a cheap way for our country to keep soldiers at the ready, but good for you if you don't want to be locked into the military.

Good Luck

BMD said:
At the end of the day, you're a dumb college kid. No offense, I was one 15 years ago. You may sign on to do 8 years in order to get flight training, experience and 2500 hours. You may have every intention of getting out and getting a good job with Delta (god knows that's what I wanted to do.) If things work out and you get that job, good on you. If they don't work out that way, you may still have a decent career in the military flying aircraft for 20 years. You don't have to be GI Joe to serve honorably. You just have to do your job in a professional manner and take what you can get. If you get stuck as a FAC with the 101st AB in Durga Durgastan, do the best you can and roll from there. Don't let a ****************************** bag like Dave Griffin (pogue) sway you one way or another. We're all just throwing opinions (which are like a$$holes[which are like griffins]) at you. Take them all in and make an educated decision as to what's right for YOU.

There are a lot of choices one can make. At the end of the day, don't end up going P-3 and being a per diem Nancy boy like some USN pilots that can't hack being carrier pilots. Real USN pilots fly off carriers.

psysicx said:
So in the Guard/Reserves you just show up and fly??

As a Traditional (part timer), the answer is yes. Of course, you need to plan, brief and debrief, too.

And tankerdriver, I don't agree with much you say and think you have a chip on your shoulder due to some bad experiences in the AF. However, I'll wager that as the A-code on a 3 hr Iraq mission, you make more critical decisions on that sortie alone than our crj boy does all month. Mission related decisions, decisions that matter. Oh, you also have to do all the stuff our crj boy does, too. Except you often don't have the luxury of calling dispatch. You fight like hell when you think some fighter guy slights you, but then you put yourself in the same category as a crj captain? Odd.

Note: This is not a slam on crj captains, but rather a compliment to USAF A/C's flying in combat.

Show up and Fly

psysicx said:
So in the Guard/Reserves you just show up and fly??

Not normally. I'll give you an example for a short 1.2 hr SAT (Surface Attack Tacticts) mission.
If you are flying in the morning with, let's say an 0800L (2+00 hr prior to takeoff) brief time, you either show up the day prior to plan or help paln the mission, or show up at least two hours prior that morning to mission plan (mainly if you are the Flight Lead). You start your brief at 0800L, which you will cover everything in detail. Once you are done, sometimes not having enough time to cover it all, you go suit up (G-Suit, Survival Equipment, Harness, etc), get a step brief from the Supervisor of Flying, and go to the jet about 45 min (0915L) prior to takeoff. Assuming everything goes well on ground-ops you takeoff at 1000L. You fly, a 4vX, in this case opposed SAT, leading a 4-Ship against multiple fighters. Not only you are flying your jet, but you are also making decision on what, how, when to execute. Manage the fuel of your flight and direct your wingman to target with his sensors, while watching him, and prioritizing on what's next. Once you are done with the Air-to-Air threats, you deal with your target, puttimg bombs on target on time, within a TOT (time on target) window. At the same time you will be dealing with Surfarce-to-Air missiles. All of it very challenging, but rewarding at the same time.
Once you return to the base and land, after your short 1.2 hr sortie, you stop by maintenance, turn in the forms, and/or write up any problems with the aircraft. You go get rid of your flying attire, and immediately proceed to the vault to start reviewing you tapes (so is everybody else in your flight). ONce you are done with reviewing your tapes, is when the fun starts.
Debrief starts. You know talk about everything that you as a flight lead, could've done better. Starting from questions on the brief, to ground ops, start, taxi, takeoff. Any issues on the tanker (if you used one, which most likely will extend your flight time, and work load). Then you talk about the return to base (RTB), and you leave tactics for last.
You now debrief in detail, what you and your flight member could've done better, or did wrong, and how to improve it, giving solutions and techniques. Maybe after 1 hr to 1.5 hrs (as a minimum) you are done. This is if the flight was not an upgrade.

If you do the math:
Pre-mission (planning): 2hrs
Briefing to Takeoff: 2 hrs
Takeoff to land: 1.2 hrs (not including tanker)
Land to Debrief: .4 hours (including reviewing your tapes)
Debrief: 1.4 hrs (on average)
Grand Total to fly a Short 1.2 hr Sortie: (7.0 hrs, math in public)

Now if you call that show an fly... I don't think so..:rolleyes:

I'm not putting down any CRJ pilots out there (b/c we have a few in our squadron), but how many PIC hours compare to what I just explained?

BTW TankerDriver, you should talk to some of the mature pilots in your squadron and get some advice :smash: (by best bud is a tanker driver as well). We are all here to serve our country first. The fact that you can get 300-600 hrs a year, burning circles in the sky over... anywhere, is just the way it is. Thanks for the gas though... without you, us fighter guys can not long very far...

Showing the Love...
Cheers

I think that counts as part of the flight. Unlike AD where you would go sit at a desk afterwards and do you side job. Do most flights take 7 hrs or is that only the flight lead? How does someone work a 9 to 5 job and do this?

jayman said:
Dont want the 10 year comittment...Dont want to fly a desk...want a guaranteed pilot slot...If you don'tr make it through pilot training you can quit...want to be able to fly when you want after pilot training? Join the guard or reserves man! I wish I would have known that before I busted my ass competing for a pilot slot on active duty 12 years ago. I am a reservist now and we send you guys to AF pilot training off the street via OTS or AMS. What a deal to know your airplane before you go and to know the job you will be doing when you return. After pilot training you normally get a year's worth or orders to...you guessed it...fly. After that you can usually fly trips whenever you want. Get your hours, serve you country as a true citizen soldier and land you airline job when you get your time...and guess what...after you land your airline job, you can still fly for the military as a volunteer soldier. Call your local guard or reserve AF Base and go to lunch with those guys during one of their weekend drills and get the scoop. Its a great way to serve while making your family and civilian job primary. Its a cheap way for our country to keep soldiers at the ready, but good for you if you don't want to be locked into the military.

Good Luck

Knowing what I know now, I'd probably try for the Guard or Reserves... good points.

psysicx said:
I think that counts as part of the flight. Unlike AD where you would go sit at a desk afterwards and do you side job. Do most flights take 7 hrs or is that only the flight lead? How does someone work a 9 to 5 job and do this?

psysicx,

If you have any additional duties as a guardsmen, you still have to sit behind the desk and do your job.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back