Air Force official rapped after nuclear flyover

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No we haven't. Pure BS comment.

Your issue then is with Don Shepperd, a retired Air Force major general and military analyst for CNN who made the statement "U.S. had agreed in a Cold War-era treaty not to fly nuclear weapons".

Your issue then is with Don Shepperd, a retired Air Force major general and military analyst for CNN who made the statement "U.S. had agreed in a Cold War-era treaty not to fly nuclear weapons".
No, my issue is with people putting out wrong info, especially info where they only have vague second hand. I also I don't care what CNN or one of their talking heads says, even if that talking head is a retired USAF Maj Gen.

This is BS. I know from experience. I was a Nuclear Weapons Officer for the Navy as well as being part of a nuclear delivery qualified aircrew for 7 years.

The U.S. publicly changed it's policy on the routine operations and deployments of nuclear capable units and nuclear weapons after the end of the cold war around the 1993 time frame. But we specifically and publicly stated we reserved the right to deploy them when and how we saw fit whenever we saw fit.

We did not give up any rights to fly nuclear weapons over our own or international airspace. We never will either.

Believing everything you hear on the TV news is not a good way to learn facts.

Last edited:
Have you not seen Broken Arrow. If John Travolta was piloting this aircraft, it could have been a real issure.
"Can you please not shoot at the thermonuclear warhead"

I heard the crew was non-current for their annual SARC briefing, Homosexual Awareness Training, and a few other ancillary events. Had the crew been current, they obviously would have no time to fly and therefore, the mistake would not have happened. When are we going to park the planes and get some serious Power-Point on?

Believing everything you hear on the TV news is not a good way to learn facts.

Or believing an anonymous poster on the Internet who may or may have not been a nuclear officer. It was a credible source of information which I relayed to a person who asked the question.

Slacker asks
When are we going to park the planes and get some serious Power-Point on?

NOOOOOW I see why you're where you are!!

Or believing an anonymous poster on the Internet who may or may have not been a nuclear officer. It was a credible source of information which I relayed to a person who asked the question.
You relayed third hand information as fact. That is not credible. You didn't even site a source.

If you really believe that the U.S. would sign a treaty prohibiting it to fly any of its nuclear weapons on it's military aircraft in its own airspace, then you are obviously naive.

You want to buy a bridge? It's located in downtown New York and I'll sell it to you cheap. Just think of your income potential from all the tolls you can collect.

Last edited:
You relayed third hand information as fact. That is not credible. You didn't even site a source.

I gave you the source which is more then you have to any of your claims nor do you offer anything except your anonymous opinion to counter what is in fact a statement of an Air Force General.

Clearly you have some sort of issue and I will leave it at that. Have a good weekend.

As I approach the end of my military career, I see more and more ridiculous stuff like this happen, stuff that wouldn't have ever happened when I first started out.

You’ve actually seen things more ridiculous than nuclear weapons being unknowingly transported across the U.S.???

Aviation Week had a short article on this in this week's error. I don't have it in front of me, but it implied that some amount of time elasped before anyone realized that the nukes were missing.

I had only a little contact with nukes during my time in the USAF, but from the little I can recall from when I was a SOF at an F-111 base I just can't imagine how this sort of breach was even possible. The mind boggles.

Latest resources

Back