• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Air Force Fighter Pilot Shortage

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Rotary wing guys have more piloting skills overall than fighter pilots.
I'll have to take your word on that since I have only flown fighters and various airliners - no rotary wing. So, I wouldn't feel qualified to make such a definitive statement.

Since you must have flown both fighters and rotary wing to develop such an opinion, maybe you can give us the scoop on why that is.

No I haven't flown fighters but I have flown both fixed and rotary. I can assure you I can fly a fighter better than you can fly a rotary. You wil barely be able to keep a rotary in the air the first few times.

Both of you seem to have tunnel vision. I'm agreeing with you!!

Acknowledged. I like to fight though, and love exposing the acccounting/economics/business majors as the dollards they are when their/there/its/it's/your/you're confuses them whilst atop the soapbox.

(?‿?)凸

Obviously, you're not a hostile. Cheers.

No I haven't flown fighters but I have flown both fixed and rotary. I can assure you I can fly a fighter better than you can fly a rotary. You wil barely be able to keep a rotary in the air the first few times.

It sounds like you're saying that if a person had only rotary wing experience, they would be able to use that skill foundation to have some basic success during a first attempt flying fixed wing. But, the reverse would not be true. A fixed wing pilot can't take his skill set and extend it to rotary without some additional training. I can buy that.

How about a total novice with no training in either? Does it take longer for them to master rotary or fixed or is it about the same?

About your comment: In my experience, it's usually a mistake to make such one-way, absolute statements like you did. It's probably better to avoid big generalizations and not assume everyone with a certain type of training is better or more qualified than others who are in a very different line of work. I don't doubt that the skills required to fly a helo are substantial. From what I hear, it's sort of like rubbing your head and patting your stomach and you always have to be doing one or the other or both? No gliding either.

If you want to take your personal fixed and rotary wing experience and come to the conclusion that your average rotary wing pilot possesses "more piloting skill" than your average fixed wing pilot, I won't argue. Like I said, I don't have the experience to form an opinion. It seems to me that you might make your point better if you defined what you mean by "more piloting skill". There are lots and lots of varied and unrelated skill sets in both rotary wing and fighter aviation that have nothing to do with each other.

Once you start specifically addressing fighter pilot skills and the quality of those skills, you lose credibility since you've never done it. When you talk about you being able to fly a fighter, you're really just talking about flying it around the sky, from A to B or maybe taking off or trying to land. That's just flying an airplane, just like you do now but probably a bit faster. Employing a fighter as a weapons platform against other aircraft and all that goes along with that would be just as foreign to you as rotary wing would be to me. The skills required to do that well are developed over years and years and have nothing to do with rotary wing flying.

One final comment: the first guy to wash out of my Air Force pilot training class was a former Army Cobra pilot. Among his many struggles in his failed transition was being able to think fast and stay ahead of the jet. Maybe he had some great piloting skills as long as he could keep the T-37 at helicopter speed - we'll never know - He didn't even make it to the first solo. That particular individual obviously did not benefit from his rotary wing training in the way you claim others might. It probably comes down to each individual and their strengths and weaknesses rather than what category of aircraft they happen to be trained on.

Last edited:
Helo pilots are looked down upon because they fly low and slow. But having hired a bunch ino the fixed wing world I can attest to their flying skills. Army training is the best rotor wing in the world, more corporations are using helos, they will hire almost only ex-military, because where else does someone turbine helo PIC? I know the fixed wing brotherhood looks down on the helo drivers as lessor pilots, I mean they have never been to FL410, or done a M.78 descent. Hovering into a dark LZ on goggles is much more demanding of a pilot?s skills than shooting a Cat II approach.

Someone has to figure out why uninformed management knuckleheads don't view a multi-crew PIC in a multi-engine turbine glass cockpit time in an advanced IFR helo like the H-60, H-46, H-53 or H-47 is not real flight time. However, PIC in a VFR only C-150 in the traffic pattern is the breakfast of champions for an airline career by those who set hard fixed wing limits and ignore helo time in total time. Why are most management and insurance company?s sooooo waaaayyyy out of touch with reality? Ops I am sorry I was management bashing again.

Last edited:
Are fighters really that hard to just fly around compare to say, an R-22? I think not.

Taking off, flying around, landing a fighter? My impression is that the modern generation of fighters are pretty straightforward to just takeoff, fly somewhere, and land.

Fighting a fighter so as to win against another fighter...that's hard, very hard.

Are fighters really that hard to just fly around compare to say, an R-22? I think not.

Taking off, flying around, landing a fighter? My impression is that the modern generation of fighters are pretty straightforward to just takeoff, fly somewhere, and land.

Fighting a fighter so as to win against another fighter...that's hard, very hard.

Jim gets it. Modern fighters are very easy to fly. Employment is a completely different world, and running intercepts at 1000+ knots closure, in a dynamic 3D environment, running 5 radios, multiple sensors, managing your three wingmen, executing CAS, and SEAD, etc etc etc. And yes I've flown helo's and in particular the R-22 mentioned. Night traps with pitching deck are FAR more challenging and completely terrifying, every single time.

Yip you're a broken record. A college degree is required, get over it. I'm pretty sure Adler has no fighter pilot envy, as he's an Eagle homo. Go back to fleecing aspiring pilots.

http://toolmonger.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/CM_camotoolbag.jpg

(Hint, It's a picture of a toolbag)

Last edited:
Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth I was an EWO in an F-4 Weasel Squadron that converted to the F-15A (Go Fighting Cocks!).

When I'd run in to my front seats friends after the conversation I'd ask them about the difference between flying the F-4 and the F-15. To a man they would always say that the F-15 was much easier to fly than the F-4.

The Eagle just didn't have the weird quirks and convoluted switchology that characterized the F-4 and other earlier generation fighters. It also had way better visibility and vastly better ergonomics.

Employing it as a weapon was said to be more challenging in a lot of ways than the F-4 because for one thing, they didn't have me to keep them out of trouble. ;)

And because the airplane presented a lot more information and involved a much higher net energy level during engagements (and the F-4 was no slouch in the energy department).

From the little bit I know about the F-16, it's probably a bit more of a handful to just fly around than an F-15.

Yip you're a broken record. A college degree is required, get over it. I'm pretty sure Adler has no fighter pilot envy, as he's an Eagle homo. Go back to fleecing aspiring pilots.
My doesn't that make the world a better place, a colelge degree is required for what? to be a good pilot? Nah! I suppose you think helo pilots are low lifes also because they can fly with a degree?

Night traps with pitching deck are FAR more challenging and completely terrifying, every single time.
And you have expereince with this? I spend 2.5 years on the USS Enterprise, if they are pitching very much you don't fly in peace time. So is this carrier pilot evny?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back