• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Air Cargo Carriers Bases

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
On a scheduled run its best to live in base as you work mon night until sat morning so commuting reallly sux. Many (including myself) have commuted on the weekends but it burns you out quickly.

On charter we get a ticket to where we are going, or jumpseat to mke. Having the week and a bit off blows the other schedule out of the water as you can actually relax a lil.

Do you jumpseat/ commute back and forth each roation(ie four/five day trips). How tough is it to get GSP or HSV out of training?

I was jumpseating when I was on Charter so it was for a 19 day rotation then 9 days off. I agree that if you are on a scheduled run it's better to live in base.

How's the Q400 go compared to the shorts?

I don't even know where to start. The Q400 is an incredible machine, I love it. Although I must say I miss hand flying the Shorts through thunderstorms in the summertime praying that the wings aren't going to snap off.

I miss hand flying the Shorts through thunderstorms in the summertime praying that the wings aren't going to snap off.

Too true. We flew a recently re-assembled shorts on a ferry flight and were watching the tips going up and down with nervous smiles on our face! Thank god for struts!

SHERPA flown half way around the world

I have a friend who was a contract mechanic in Iraq working on SHERPAs. He got to fly with the crew that flew one of the birds from Iraq to the US. They flew with extra tanks on the airline route over Greenland.

He kept a journal. If he would give me permission I would post the journal here. It is fascinating.

just curious, are they still hiring direct entry captains. I'm typed in the SD3.

Oz...how are you still there? I see and talk to a lot of ex ACC folks and its strange how much different 121 is from the life of a 135 freighter. Its so much more boring to have the ability to not fly straight thru a storm or to delay a flt so they can fix a plane...but its so much more boring to fly high and fast while reading magazines or studying for upgrade...i truly miss the shorts and the oddities of flying around with your own amex card...well enjoy yourself...i see the acc birds all over and i wonder who else i know that still works there...oh and the PNS crew car is the best!

Latest resources

Back