• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Air Asia

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have been doing the expat thing for a a couple of years now. In my current place of employment , there are many Europeans who have paid for not only their types but also line training. Some have even paid for 250 hours on an Airbus. The scary part is that they consider this to be an investment.

Many airlines are now realizing that they can make money as many pilots would work for less to get the PIC time. Where does this all end?

I sincerely hope people don't apply or go to places like Air asia . It s time we have more respect for what we do and demand the compensation we deserve.

Bertie,

I am in the same boat, 4+years for me now.

Pay for training started in the USA.

Expat jobs used to be the last place to get a decent wage. Air Asia is learning from the folks in the USA on how to rape pilots.

ASA's Vietnam venture is only marginally better.

Both these companies lower the standard for everyone.

Yes, they hire First Officers as Captains, but only about 10% of the applicants are succesful. They only get you travel on their network and all other expenses are on you. I and several well qualified friends of mine had this experience. Wouldn't waste my time there again.

Yes, they hire First Officers as Captains, but only about 10% of the applicants are succesful. They only get you travel on their network and all other expenses are on you. I and several well qualified friends of mine had this experience. Wouldn't waste my time there again.

Can you discuss what the problems you encountered were? I am thinking about going over but right now I have a land job that pays 60K and is secure. I wouldn't be able to come back to it if I left.
Max

Bertie,

I am in the same boat, 4+years for me now.

Pay for training started in the USA.

Expat jobs used to be the last place to get a decent wage. Air Asia is learning from the folks in the USA on how to rape pilots.

ASA's Vietnam venture is only marginally better.

Both these companies lower the standard for everyone.

Air Mekong is not an ASA venture. It's a totally independant company who wanted help starting up and writing the manuals so they hired someone higher in the ranks of ASA than the typical line pilot to go help. I do not even know if that person is actually still employed at ASA or not. The only thing ASA has done is agree to let our pilots take a leave of absence and not lose seniority while they are over there contracting. This was done while we had an excess of pilots and some on furlough to help try to bring back some of the furloughs. The airplanes are NOT ASA airplanes nor is ASA financing any of that totally SEPARATE company. Just to set the record straight.

Last edited:
Air Mekong is not an ASA venture. It's a totally independant company who wanted help starting up and writing the manuals so they hired someone higher in the ranks of ASA than the typical line pilot to go help. I do not even know if that person is actually still employed at ASA or not. The only thing ASA has done is agree to let our pilots take a leave of absence and not lose seniority while they are over there contracting. This was done while we had an excess of pilots and some on furlough to help try to bring back some of the furloughs. The airplanes are NOT ASA airplanes nor is ASA financing any of that totally SEPARATE company. Just to set the record straight.

SkyWest, the parents company of SkyWest Leasing Inc., says it already invested US$7 million in a 30% stake of Air Mekong. SkyWest adds it has personnel on site to provide technical expertise.

That's "fresh off the press", so I would not call it a "totally SEPARATE company". There are joint interests. ASA is not placing pilots in Vietnam for charity purpose; it's business. While it's great for some ASA guys to have an opportunity to fly over seas and earn a buck, mind you that they will be doing it for sub standard expat wages. Turboprop Captains in Vietnam make way more than what ASA pilots will fly for, so it would have been nice if the ASA pilots could study the market first and demand competitive contract wages, before venturing out on a 12 month adventure. The Asian pilot market is one of the last few places, where pilots can make decent wages. Until now .... I sence a Deja Vu coming ....

Last edited:
The typical scenario from the expat view is fo's awaiting upgrade go to Air Asia, fly as Capt for 3 years for crapola money, then return to the Gulf as Direct entry Capts...

ttuite,

I did not personally have any problems there. Found them to be nice people albeit unorganized. Its a good opportunity to those in the expat ranks who have the experience to upgrade to Captain. I have not a clue what they are looking for in applicants, as they turned down everyone in my interview group. Also turned down some well qualified friends of mine. Good luck if you go...

Latest resources

Back