• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Agi / Bgi?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Let me preface this by saying that this may seem extremely stupid, but I need a correct answer to this question:
I already hold a Ground Instructor Cert. with AGI and IGI. One of my professors will give extra credit if we take an FAA written exam during our summer course and the only written I have left to take is the BGI. Can I have the BGI added to my Ground Instructor with AGI and IGI or is it somehow considered redundant (from an FAA point of view)?

ROSWELL41 said:
Let me preface this by saying that this may seem extremely stupid, but I need a correct answer to this question:
I already hold a Ground Instructor Cert. with AGI and IGI. One of my professors will give extra credit if we take an FAA written exam during our summer course and the only written I have left to take is the BGI. Can I have the BGI added to my Ground Instructor with AGI and IGI or is it somehow considered redundant (from an FAA point of view)?

You can take it, but IF you fail, you could lose your AGI "privileges"

IF you are a CFI and a CFII there is no point in getting your AGI or BGI.

For a 141 ground school you need CFI OR AGI to teach ground.

The BGI, AGI & IGI are pretty much a joke of an FAA rating but its worth getting anyway. If you’re already a CFI-ASE/IA, then your already have all the privileges of all the GI ratings. The only privilege of a GI is to sign off ground school for written test applicants and to teach in an FAA approved curriculum in an FAA approved ground school program.

In my opinion, it's good for resume padding. Fort the price of the test, and the time it takes you to take the extra test and fill out an 8710, I think it's worth it to get an extra certificate. The ground instructor ratings also never expire like the CFI.
I showed my FAA examiner my tests results for my AGI after I passed my CFI ride and he just gave me two temporaries, one for my CFI and one for my AGI. I did more or less the same thing with the CFII and IGI.

brokeflyer said:
dont bother with either of them....just get a CFII then you can do anything

With a CFI-I you can only teach instruments. A CFI-I can not even do a BFR or sign off a student for a X-C.

you must be drinking Drano.....the CFII is an "additional instructor rating"......the CFI is a certificate.....there is a difference. You need the CFI to get the CFII. So, a CFII can give BFR's all day long and then the next day sign a student off for a instrument rating......then after that teach a commercial lesson.....

Certificates are student,private, comm, and ATP....

ratings are(for example) Instrument, multi-engine, etc....

You can get your CFI-Insturment as you intial CFI. You would only be able to teach Instrument flight and ground (pt 141 and 61), and conduct IPCs.

UndantedFlyer is correct in what he is saying.

well whatever...im not gonna get into a debate over it......but there is a reason why it's called an "additional instructor rating"....

im only a 15,000 hour CFII-M....so what do I know....

Latest resources

Back