• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 70 being discussed

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
And replace it with what? The buttkissing system? Whoever gets their monthly bid in first system?

You guys crack me up. You want the left seat so bad, you'll propose anything, forgetting that the alternate system you propose for your benefit could ultimately bite you in the butt.

You have heard of the "Law of Unintended Consequences" haven't you?

Seriously, Abe...what's your proposal?

P.S. I wonder how many of you young studs who are so outraged about the change in the retirement date will punch out at 60. After all, it was the law when you took your first flying lesson.

Perhaps they should find a compromise position like this: Do away with the mandatory retirement age but at age 60 you can no longer hold a First class medical forcing you back into the right seat and a SIC position. Then the over 60 crowd can stay on for as long as they want in a mentor role to all the newly upgraded Captains sitting in the left seat.

Perhaps they should find a compromise position like this: Do away with the mandatory retirement age but at age 60 you can no longer hold a First class medical forcing you back into the right seat and a SIC position. Then the over 60 crowd can stay on for as long as they want in a mentor role to all the newly upgraded Captains sitting in the left seat.
great idea!!

# 1, why do you assume all old Captains are broke?

#2, why can't your believe in your deluded little minds that some people actually enjoy working?

#3, not everyone is as lazy as some members of your generation, where they want to sit home on their fat ass collecting a pension/social security check.

How about actually answering my question?

It is, actually, but the geezers will never go for it.
This one will, if you like to fly airplanes, it does not matter the airplane or the seat. If you are in it for other reasons, you may be disappointed

This will also free up the left seat for the junior pilot as well as give the option of staying around longer. Would this satisfy the career expectation while also helping in recovery of unforseen economic hardships?

Why, exactly, does a seat need to be "freed up?" Why are you entitled to ANY "career expectation," especially in aviation, a notoriously fluid occupation?

No one who has ever put on an airline uniform didn't understand two things: its a seniority system and furloughs happen.

Again, WHY is ANYONE owed a job or an upgrade on some imagined schedule?

Not a bad idea if you pay protect me at Capt. rate.

... Then the over 60 crowd can stay on for as long as they want in a mentor role to all the newly upgraded Captains sitting in the left seat.

Mentor role. Sure. Here is a young mind eager to draw on and learn from the experience of those who have gone before him:

... Apparently, some of the fossils haven't acquired that bit of wisdom, despite allegedly having acquired all wisdom there is and ever was.

Mentor? lol Good luck with that.

This one will, if you like to fly airplanes, it does not matter the airplane or the seat. If you are in it for other reasons, you may be disappointed

I'm afraid you're the exception. I remember seeing numerous ROPEs (Retired Old Pilot Engineers) flying the panel at FedEx, they didn't look too terribly happy.

That is probably another benefit of this idea. The over 60 pilots in it for "other reasons" would probably not step up to the challenge of being a right seat mentor pilot. This would hopefully lead to the result of having mentors who actually have a love of flying and therefore more to share.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back