• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 65

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The only pilots screwed were those forced to retire at 60 and lost around one million in income that guys like Hamburger will earn in those 5 extra years, if they so chose.

Gotta disagree with you there. Out of the extra possible five years, three of those will be spent in the lesser paying right seat, if not more due to the stagnation.

The truth of the matter is that when age 65 came down the hill, it created a few new groups of pilots. Captains who are happy they get to spend another five years in the seat, captains who are pissed they HAVE to spend another five years in the seat, and FOs who are pissed we had to spend another 3-5 in the cheap seat hearing a member of one of the previous groups complain for hours on end about the subject du-jour while pretending to listen.

Gotta disagree with you there. Out of the extra possible five years, three of those will be spent in the lesser paying right seat, if not more due to the stagnation.

The truth of the matter is that when age 65 came down the hill, it created a few new groups of pilots. Captains who are happy they get to spend another five years in the seat, captains who are pissed they HAVE to spend another five years in the seat, and FOs who are pissed we had to spend another 3-5 in the cheap seat hearing a member of one of the previous groups complain for hours on end about the subject du-jour while pretending to listen.

Where is the "like" button?

Get over it, guys. Age 65 caused less disruption to careers than Deregulation did. Think of all the consolidation, companies going bankrupt (some out of business, some just dumping debt and pensions), others starting up, commuter partners, etc. Total lack of stability in the industry. Race to the bottom in salaries and working conditions.

My point is, quit worrying about history. You can't change it. Look to the threats on the horizon and there are plenty. I'll let you consider what would hurt you most.
Helm

Get over it, guys. Age 65 caused less disruption to careers than Deregulation did. Think of all the consolidation, companies going bankrupt (some out of business, some just dumping debt and pensions), others starting up, commuter partners, etc. Total lack of stability in the industry. Race to the bottom in salaries and working conditions.

My point is, quit worrying about history. You can't change it. Look to the threats on the horizon and there are plenty. I'll let you consider what would hurt you most.
Helm
Good post.

The only pilots screwed were those forced to retire at 60 and lost around one million in income that guys like Hamburger will earn in those 5 extra years, if they so chose. That's the kind of choice I prefer to have. Greed? Hardly. As mentioned elsewhere, it's called opportunity.
The math has been explained. You're too stupid to crunch the numbers, that can't be helped.

Shhhh.
Don't bother with simple math.
The "real truth" is that taking more than anybody before you had and anybody after will have makes everyone else greedy. Feeling that you are entitled to more than your father or your son is ok as long as you make a point to call the people you are taking it from the "entitlement crowd"

Last edited:
Helm
Yeah. I HAVE been worrying about this since it was on the horizon. The history is that, not only has it has hurt us more than any other single event in our career, it's the guy sitting next to us that is doing it.

Do you give the same advice to guys who got their pensions stolen by management?

They have taken hundreds of thousands of dollars out of our pockets and put it in their own. Period.
Tell me how they are better than pension robbing executives who did the exact same thing.
Tell yourself whatever you please, but this is the FACT and nothing can change it.

Some people are always looking the other way. They never see the bus that runs over them.
Helm

True. Age 60 isn't ever coming back. Some people need to get over it. Imagine how he's going to feel when they up the age to 70!

True. Age 60 isn't ever coming back. Some people need to get over it. Imagine how he's going to feel when they up the age to 70!

Age 70... Great idea! Then I might be able to work long enough to actually pay off my student loan before I croak!

Latest resources

Back