• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 65

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My beef is that these guys/babyboomers (121 airline) knew all too well over the past 30 years when their time would be up....BS they knew the rules going in.

Rules change all the time. Whether in the NFL or the FAA. You play by the rules in force at the time.

Me Me Me Me

Rules change all the time. Whether in the NFL or the FAA. You play by the rules in force at the time.

Great, if the rules change to require only one pilot in the cockpit altogether I'm sure you'll be happy to accept it and move on right? What about if they change to eliminate pilots in the cockpit altogether?

What about if someone like Hitler took over the country tomorrow and required all Jewish people to be exterminated, would you play by those rules?

How about if the US government decided on day that couples are only allowed on baby per decade per family and all other children are to be killed upon birth would you play by those rules?

Yes rules change, but that doesn't make it right does it?

Me Me Me!!!!!!!!!

Now that's just crazy there... Not exactly helping the argument man

Don't mind the old farts, although they do fart more than us younger folk. Also, would youz guys please turn down the speaker volume in the cockpit; it's like visiting gramps in the nursing home.

I airlined back to the United States yesterday in the back of a Continental 777. The aircraft was Captained by a gentleman making his last flight after 3 decades with the carrier and a distinguished Navy career (including retirement from the Reserves). Judging by the biography in the seat back pocket, I calculated his age at 59 or 60 meaning he willingly gave up 5 more years at the absolute TOP of the Continental heap. I can't say why he chose to retire except for his stated desire on the PA to spend more time with his family. But I can say: Good on ya Captain S. Your service to your country and your company are appreciated and enjoy your well-earned retirement.

BS,
Yes, it is about safety.
Nah, safety has nothing to do with it. It's all about economics and career progression. Some guys are honest about it, others try to hide behind "safety" arguments and make up all kinds of crazy stories about those "senile" 60 year old guys who just happen to be senior to them. ;)

I airlined back to the United States yesterday in the back of a Continental 777. The aircraft was Captained by a gentleman making his last flight after 3 decades with the carrier and a distinguished Navy career (including retirement from the Reserves). Judging by the biography in the seat back pocket, I calculated his age at 59 or 60 meaning he willingly gave up 5 more years at the absolute TOP of the Continental heap. I can't say why he chose to retire except for his stated desire on the PA to spend more time with his family. But I can say: Good on ya Captain S. Your service to your country and your company are appreciated and enjoy your well-earned retirement.

Part of the story that is not being told. CAL has a significant number retiring right now and they all seem to be cut from the same cloth. I don't know exactly how to characterize them, but it's a lot less about luck and timing than some of their contemporaries would like us to believe. This is especially true of this sort of CAL pilot.

The tipping point for the membership's "Yes" vote on CAL's concessionary contract was protecting the 100% lump sum retirement option. Captain S. gets a check for around $900k. Yeah, it probably should be more but it's a whole lot more than many will get and the very best we could have preserved.

We need to be vigilant of Age 70. These same guys who pushed Age 65 will reload and push for Age 70 when the time is right. Same agenda, same arguments will be used in my opinion. Granted, it will be a much harder "sell" this time but they must be stopped.

Greedy bastages.

Latest resources

Back