Age 65 Stinks

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Here is an honest Union Question

Enough of this thread, already. 250 posts of urinating in the wind.

Age 65 is the law and we ain't going back.

Ever.

If ALPA/SWAPA/APA etc represents ALL of their pilots, why not work initially to phase in this change, like raise the age one year every two years so no One group of pilots who were 59 at the time saw a complete windfall while everyone else stagnates and the bottom is ultimately furloughed? It seems that would have been an equitable way to raise the age (since it was deemed inevitable) without overtly favoring the senior 55+ pilots. For me it is an example where the union uses its power to take from the junior and give to the senior. B scales, scope, etc are all examples where the union walks on it's junior members and then wonders where all the animosity towards the union leadership comes from.
Luv

Enough of this thread, already. 250 posts of urinating in the wind.

Age 65 is the law and we ain't going back.

Ever.

I think this thread is of good use to keep the issue in our scan and halt an effort to make the rule 70 or whatever the current leadership wants to see happen.

There are many small miracles in this business. Among them are being able to retire from an airline and not having the airline fizzle out, actually reaching the retirement age physically able, and simply getting hired is a pretty big deal. Despite what age 65 supporters will vehemently deny, a pilot does have career expectations when they get hired. We know this to be true because we know arbitration exists and we've seen it play out. In instances not too much different than age 65, arbitration has been a tool to balance the outcome and prevent a windfall. Remember, Prater made this happen how and when it did. He had it stripped from a larger transportation bill during a session of Congress it was clearly not going to make it through. That being the case, I think resolutions need to be passed and lawsuits need to be considered in order to remind John Prater that there are other pilots in this union and profession than the soon to be retired. If he attempts to make the age 70 there needs to be an effort to arbitrate the effects. Period! Prater has a problem with career expectations of junior pilots and he clearly has an issue with arbitration [USAir] and it's costing this union and profession dearly.

Flying since 1969 and still doesn't have enough money to retire. What a sad situation.

AA767AV8TOR

That's it. I'm sure it has nothing to do with him enjoying his job and still able to do skillfully.

The real reason, I bet; is that he doesn't want to give his job to self-entitled crybabies like flopgut.

That's it. I'm sure it has nothing to do with him enjoying his job and still able to do skillfully.

The real reason, I bet; is that he doesn't want to give his job to self-entitled crybabies like flopgut.

K. Why don't you explain this:

Forced off the 747 back to the DC8, then furloughed by FTL out of seniority. Recalled 6 months later after a settlement.

This guy gets a "settlement" after something occurs to his seniority. Hmmm. I asked him to elaborate but he hasn't so maybe I'm on his ignore list. But it's interesting that a "settlement" is a proper thing for him and not the least bit "self-entitled". However, to suggest the same for today's junior, seniority marginalized pilot is equivilent to being a "crybaby"? Where do you come up with that?

I think we have an issue here that needs to go to grievance arbitration. Prater made this happen, has not followed through in seeking a way to keep 60 the retirement age norm, and has completely ignored career expectations in a scenario where that should have entered into the equation. Examine the USAir situation closely and compare the retirement age issue. You'll see that this is a pattern of behavior with John and that despite what guys like you and he believe, the legal community is not in agreement. And that if the retirement age effects were arbitrated, a windfall would not exist for guys like you, Prater or Foxhunter.

Last edited:
K. Why don't you explain this:

This guy gets a "settlement" after something occurs to his seniority. Hmmm. I asked him to elaborate but he hasn't so maybe I'm on his ignore list. But it's interesting that a "settlement" is a proper thing for him and not the least bit "self-entitled". However, to suggest the same for today's junior, seniority marginalized pilot is equivilent to being a "crybaby"? Where do you come up with that?

I think we have an issue here that needs to go to grievance arbitration. Prater made this happen, has not followed through in seeking a way to keep 60 the retirement age norm, and has completely ignored career expectations in a scenario where that should have entered into the equation. Examine the USAir situation closely and compare the retirement age issue. You'll see that this is a pattern of behavior with John and that despite what guys like you and he believe, the legal community is not in agreement. And that if the retirement age effects were arbitrated, a windfall would not exist for guys like you, Prater or Foxhunter.

I get the "crybaby" from all your pi$$ing and moaning. It's the law...get over it.

Not everyone that disagrees with your rants is over 60, I have 17 yrs. to till 65.

If you don't like what ALPA has done, get involved.

Wh care about his settlement, I know I don't.

PM me your address, I'll send you a pacifier.

Age 65 Does stink!

There should absolutely be no restriction on one's ability to sell their services,
in a free economy

Latest resources

Back