AGE 65 Rule

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FoxHunter said:
You really don't think he was serious?:( He retired at a different time, pre Lorenzo, pre-airline failures, pre-pension failures. Nice that he was so lucky.

Can you really be serious and think someone want to give up a job that pays $20,000 per month for one of these 91 gigs that may pay $20,000 per year? If you are you are in need of some serious help!:)

Fox,
I think that John's point(the rockin 85 year old) was that he enjoy's no longer woking for a living. And yes, I think he is very a fortunate man. I think he is pretty content living off his dividends and spending as much time with his family as he can. But, that was just my take on it. About the $20,000 per month to the 20,000 per year comparison. I think his point was, if you are in it for the "love of the game", then it would not matter.........Of course you would have invested wisely and could live off you dividends. If you didn't, then it becomes unfortunate.....you have to make that $20,000 a month. Chase the money.
Also, two of my Fathers close friends retired from United 4 years ago and one is flying the Boeing Biz Jet and the other is flying the G500. I guess they both won the Powerball. They also have a combined 5 ex-wives to pay for. Good Times! It all comes down to what is important to the individual.

I agree with you Fox, a lot of things have changed. That is something we can't control. But our financial freedom is. I have only been in the industry a very short time (feel very blessed to do something I love) and have seen waves of change. I believe you should be to work until your 65 if you are medically(healthy) fit. How many pilots are flying around that are 50+ with a BP less than 120/80, cholesterol less than 172..of course the low-density lipoprotein cholesterol being the dangerous factor(testing every 5 years), less than 18% body fat, weight proportioned to height, 20/20 "corrected" vision (DEFPOTEC) and tested for glaucoma every two years, can hear 20Hz-20kHz normal being 12-14kHz for middle age(not so good), tested for all kinds of cancers every year such as lymph node, mouth, skin, thyroid, and prostate(men), breast(women). Colonoscopy every 3 years, has a max heart rate of greater than 180 bpm, Exercises to 70% of this heart rate for 30 mins(minimum) 4 times a week with strength, flexibility, and cardio training, eats 2,500 calories a day(with a good diet), no more than two alcoholic drinks a day, has normal blood glucose(each person's range differes due to insulin absorbtion and body weight...about 70-120mg.dl....126mg.dl is diabetic), low homocysteine and C reactive protein levels, gets 7 to 8 hours of sleep a night, doesn't smoke, and goes to the dentist every year(blood bacteria in your gums is the same blood traveling to your ticker) I think there would be many more restrictions imposed if retirement was predicated on physical fitness(medically fit). I think there would be many pilots forced out in their 50's. I personally do not want to fly for the airlines until I am 65. Hopefully, God willing, I will still be fit to do so. I guess if the increase passes I will early out and live off my dividends. Fly Safe!

§kyye Candy said:
Does anyone really think that the pay structure will stay the same for the next 20 years+ if they decide to increase the retirement age?

I hope you don't really think the pay structure has been staying the same because the retirement age has not changed, YET.:)

The retirement age should be tied to the age at which you can receive full Social Security benefits. Conversely, if the Federal Government wants me out at 60, start giving me my money back at 60.

I've seen guys that have been forced out way too early. These days, I don't know too many guys that couldn't cut the job at 65. Maybe I hang out with guys that actually take care of themselves, like we all should.

AF :cool:

Hi!

In the current House/Senate version of the age increase bill, the FAA would not be allowed to have an age limit unless it was equal or greater than that person's Social Security retirement age. So, if there was an FAA age, the age would be variable depending on your indy retirment situation.

The last I heard, the bill's in committee. I heard it would be voted for by Congress and signed by the president.

CLiff
SHV

ArcticFlier said:
Maybe I hang out with guys that actually take care of themselves, like we all should.
Look, just because you like hanging out and watching guys take care of themselves, doesn't mean we are all into that wierd kinda $hit.

Hugh Jorgan said:
Look, just because you like hanging out and watching guys take care of themselves, doesn't mean we are all into that wierd kinda $hit.

Re-read what I wrote.............here, I'll re-post it for you.

"Maybe I hang out with guys that actually take care of themselves, like we all should."

Can you tell me what the difference is between what I wrote, and what you think I wrote? I think it's you that likes to watch. Closet watcher!! :D

Scooby74 said:
Ya know, I was at the YMCA a couple of days ago and I struck up a conversation with a guy who was hammering the weights pretty hard. Great guy who was in great shape. I thought to myself this guy must be around 55 or 60. WOW, that's great....I hope to be......."Wait, you're how old....85." He was a pilot for Continental Airlines. He still holds a first class medical and fly's his cub out at Creve Core Airport every weekend with his 10 year old great grandson. There is no doubt in my mind that he would be fit to fly a 777 from Newark to Paris. I asked him his take on the age increase. He said, "Well, the last 25 years have been the best years of my life. If anyone still wants to fly after 60 because you love your job, there are plenty of part 91 gigs out there. Have at it. But life is to short to work until you die." This coming from a guy who was a professional pilot for 37 years, now 85 having the time of his life. WOW! If we were basing pilots longevity on how fit they are to fly, this guy would be on his 62nd year as a professional pilot. He would have around 55,000 hrs total time. That's nuts!

good gene pool :)

Hugh Jorgan said:
Hmmm, you sure do like saying that a lot. You sure you aren't taking care of them? Sounds fishy to me.

Awwww crap..........I get it. Never mind.

P.S. Not my fault you think that way.......................

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back