• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AGE 65 Rule

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You younger fellows might change your mind on this issue when you get near 60. It is harder to start something new. Normal retirement starts around 65. If you're worried about the old guys keeping you out of a job...well...your turn will come, and you'll be older one day too, right?

It also seems to me that with so much need to curb costs, it would be better to have a guy actually flying instead of on a pension with no productivity.

Hi!

Does anybody know the current Age 60 legislation situation? Is it still in committee?

Cliff
MMIO

The LAST thing this about to retire a couple years early airline pilot wants to do is WORK past age 60.

But, I suppose if you've wasted your life away and find yourself it a bind, then more power to you.:rolleyes:

Yank McCobb said:
The LAST thing this about to retire a couple years early airline pilot wants to do is WORK past age 60.

But, I suppose if you've wasted your life away and find yourself it a bind, then more power to you.:rolleyes:

Or it could be that you really never liked the job in the first place, or you find your skills diminished over time, or they never existed.:)

Typcial flightinfo response (cute little smiley notwithstanding).

Nope, I made good money during my career, invested wisely, and now I'm soon to be off to enjoy the rest of my life on my own time in my own way. My choice, my preference. Those who "want to work" I suppose need to find a way to keep "working". Hardly seems an ambitious goal, however.

Yep, I recall as I was beginning my career. My "goal" (as evidently many of you here share), was to "work" for as long as possible. Yeah, sure. But again, what an admirable goal to strive for. Hope you are successful and "work" til the day you die.

And the fact that you seemingly "need" to keep earning that $20000/mo paycheck until that day comes is even sadder.

Last edited:
Yank McCobb said:
And the fact that you seemingly "need" to keep earning that $20000/mo paycheck until that day comes is even sadder.

Not really Yank, I was lucky to earn my money the "Old Fashioned Way", I inherited it. Still like what I do but I can understand your frustration because I also spent some time on the "Baby Boing".:) Not much fun was it?

My great uncle was the considered oldest working American several years ago. He was still driving up to a year before his death at 108. He loved what he did. "Work" to him was a pleasure. He balanced out his day with exercise, healthy eating, and gave all the credit to "The Lord" for his happiness.

Not everybody starts their flying career in their 20's! Not everybody wants to retire at 60. I say move it to 65, give people the option.

scoot said:
I say move it to 65, give people the option.

There is no proposal to move it to 65. The legislation currently proposed would raise the age to 67 and there is separate proposed legislation that would extend that to 68.

Latest resources

Back