AGE 65 now LAW!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ALPA pollitics

........Prater is an incompetent buffoon that never should have been elected in the first place. He got into office by playing some dirty politics at the BOD meeting last year and trading votes with another MEC.

HaHaHaHaHa!

I don't know how far back your ALPA experience goes, but based on your post, I'd guess not very far. As best I can remember, all ALPA BOD politics is "dirty politics" according to your useage! The only difference is "successful", or "un-successful" dirty politics. The election of just about every ALPA president I can remember involved sculdugery.

Prater was in a no-win situation. The age 60 thing was going to change no matter what ALPA did. He could come on board and help manage the change, or he could stand in front of a freight train. Watching Praeter get run over might have pleased a majority of the membership, but it would not have served it.

Prater was skillful enough to get elected; I think he played his cards right on the age 60 rule. It will probably cause his defeat, but he was in the wrong place at the wrong time, no matter what he did. Maybe that's his reward for his successful sculdugery at the BOD.

If you believe that ALPA is run democratically, you are wrong or naive. You'll do better sitting on Santa's lap than responding to ALPA straw polls, or Wilson (engineered to get a specific response) polls.

Last edited:
Do you renounce your US citizenship and take down your flag everytime the US gov't doesn't do it your way...

Maybe someone will come up to you and say no ALPA pin in 8 years huh? and you can let him have it...
Yeah, your right. You just go ahead and keep blaming the membership and in short order ALPA will lose another major carier. I know, I know us line pilots are just a bunch of dumb $hits and you Nat'l guys have it all figured out.

Well, I was a member of an idependent union (IACP) and I have heard calls for a return. Let the falures continue and ALPA will finds itself with some serious problems. Maybe then all you full time trip loss tools can go back to work. There is no hiding the discrace Nat'l had become.

Hi!

I'm actually 45, and I've been saying they shoud change the age since I first found out about it, when I was in my 20s.

I MAY be changing jobs, but not to Emirates-my buddy just started the 1 year 777 capt upgrade program.

I interviewed at NJA recently.

cliff
YIP

Cool... good luck to you, buddy! :beer:

p.s. what the heck is a 1-year upgrade program? I thought the DECA 767 7-month training program was long and that is as a new-hire... :eek:

Prater was in a no-win situation. The age 60 thing was going to change no matter what ALPA did. He could come on board and help manage the change, or he could stand in front of a freight train. Watching Praeter get run over might have pleased a majority of the membership, but it would not have served it.

Prater was skillful enough to get elected; I think he played his cards right on the age 60 rule. It will probably cause his defeat, but he was in the wrong place at the wrong time, no matter what he did. Maybe that's his reward for his successful sculdugery at the BOD.

I have no dog in this fight, I left 121 10 years ago and never looked back. But, you're the first one that I've seen (in my opinion) get it right.

Age 60 was headed out the door 2 years ago and Prater wasn't going to stop it. ALPA had two choices; 1) Fight a loosing battle, or 2) Take part in writing the law to protect the majority of ALPA members.

Look closely at the law;

1) Those pilots that have reached age 60 and have retired cannot come back and reclaim their seats and seniority. Thus, protecting the junior pilots from a real cluster f***.

2) Those pilots that have reached age 60 and have retired can be hired at another 121 carrier and continue to fly until age 65. so they get protected too.

3) The law specifically states that there will be no more stringent rules to obtain a medical once reaching age 60. The only requirement will be that a pilot age 60+ will need to go get a physical every 6 mos. Something that they are probably already doing. So all pilots are protected from an overzealous FAA.

and

4) If I read the law correctly, ALPA is protected from law suits from those pilots who have already retired. So the ALPA membership is protected.

5) Once again if I read the law correctly, the airlines are prohibited from changing the current bargaining agreements based on the law change. Leaving it up to the unions to negotiate any contract changes. So your contracts are protected until the membership decides how to handle the changes.

Looks to me like Prater did his job.

Hi!

Normal FOs (like me, if I went) can't upgrade until 3 yrs at Emirates. The have a DEC program, if you meet the captain mins (8000 TT, for example). If you meet the DEC capt mins, but, for whatever reason, like my buddy, don't want to do DEC (the interview/sim is much harder), you can go into a program where you'll fly the 777 for a year as an FO, and then go to capt-U don't have to wait the normal 3 years.

cliff
YIP

The FAA has been screwing around with this for four years, doing nothing. Congress got tired of the discriminatory and arbitrariness of the regulation and changed it. Period.

If you are going to argue this at least do it right. You can 't say 60 is discrimination and say 65 isn't. 65 is just as "arbitrary " as 60 you dum$ A$$

Latest resources

Back