Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Russ said:
GL
You can disagree without being disagreeable.

I know, and sometimes I go a bit overboard.

Bye Bye--General Lee

BLUE BAYOU said:
Just because ALPA is against it doesn't mean they share the same view as all pilots flying commercially. They also endorsed Kerry when a good number of ALPA pilots voted for Bush... so does that mean all pilots want to retire at 60? NO. Not all pilots are ALPA pilots either... If ICAO pilots retire at 65, why can't we? I don't want at 65 year old fireman carrying me down the stairs but what if a 59 year 31 day fireman shows up at your burning house? If he's physically fit and passed all his tests what's the difference tomorrow when he shows up at your burning house at age 60, ummm, 1 day...

ALPA has the political clout to take it to Congress and talk about the issues. Most pilots can't do that alone.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Keep the good news coming FoxHunter! With all the Legacy pensions going the way of the dinosaur, its just a matter of time now.

When I grew up in an airline household the only thing about retiring I heard about from dad and others was maybe punching out early. The guys that retired did so and seemed happy to do so, I can't remember anyone whining about it.

My own 12 years in the industry have been dramatically different, from day one i've heard nothing but whizzing and moaning about the rule.

Well at least if it passes we won't have to either whiz and moan about it or listen to whizzing and moaning about it for another five years.

Yeah, lets show all those gready bastards who stole our livelihoods over the last 15 years, we'll work longer, in fact right up until we die if we have to. That'll show em, its time to get tough.

For those who want the rule changed thats fine I don't begrudge that at all. If it changes, thats fine too. The post above was simply my take on it, thats all.

Change it with punishment

If legislation is passed allowing an increase in the age limit it should only be done in an non-punitive manner.

It should increase the age one month for every year that passes.

Also, no one over age 60 should be a captain but only stay as an FO.

This would not negatively affecting those who have not benefited in the same way that those that already have benefited from the age 60 retirements that all of a sudden want a changed for their benefit.

And if this can not be done, gradually over time and no over 60 captains, then do not change it.

The government allows my employer to take my pension (and give it to senior management) and denies me the opportunity to continue to work a few years longer to make it up. Ok.

Maybe those who are against raising the retirement age now will get the "opportunity" to experience this in their careers.

I know I was against raising the retirement age when I was 35 and Carl Icahn terminated the TWA pilot's pensions. What goes around comes around, I guess.TC

If it is changed how long before managements use that as an excuse to ratchet us down even further? After all we will have more earning years available to us, not to mention more and more folks at the top of the scale for them to pay. Does anyone think managements, after all they have done to us, are going to let that one slide?

We will just beat the snot out of ourselves longer and longer for less and less. I just don't think that will be progress for us at all.

ALPA National is the problem

ALPA national is the problem. And pitting one group of pilots against another group is just bad news.

ALPA national has allowed this race to the bottom and the need to recover the losses sustained by those damaged. And those damaged have not held ALPA national accountable.

What MEC's have called for a recall of Duane Worthless? None that I am aware of in recent readings.

What terminal ALPA carrier has made a stand for the good of the whole? None- US air is still in business, UAL got $3b and the same management and union control the situation, etc.

ALPA is the problem and it should not be taken out on the bottom half of the list because the top half of this list would not do it the long term way.

BLUE BAYOU said:
I don't want at 65 year old fireman carrying me down the stairs but what if a 59 year 31 day fireman shows up at your burning house? If he's physically fit and passed all his tests what's the difference tomorrow when he shows up at your burning house at age 60, ummm, 1 day...

I agree.

The Max Temp for engine start is 570C. I mean why can't it be 571C? What's the difference? If the engine looked good on preflight and passed all of its tests and got signed off by mx, then why not 572C or heck, even 575C?

what the hell, it's only one start cycle that went over the limit... what could go wrong?

:erm:

Sincerely,

B. Franklin

Latest resources

Back