Age 63????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
age 60 PFT

What is the connection of age 60 and PFT?

Boeingman said:
Part of the change in legislation includes a change to the tax code to accomadate this.
Where do you get this from?

Why would Congress give airline pilots an exception to the early retirement penalty which applies to everyone else? The way the IRC is written now the penalty only applies for those who retire prior to the FAA mandated retirement age. Short of that, early retirement penalties applies to anyone who retires prior to their social security retirement age which, for many of us, is 67.

Hey 46Drvr,

Semper Fi to a fellow Marine... Next, Check the pay scale at UPS, Im at the bottom, I still make less than I made at the rejional that I worked at B4 I came here so sell the whole "your making the bucks" idea to someone who might believe you. As far as this Ive got mine and Ive forgotten where I came from Bull $hit, Its comeplete Bull$hit. Ive helped far too many Guys from my old units, mostly Helo guys. If anyone has got the Ive got mine, now Fcuk off attitude, its the old guys who have there comfortable left seats and are willing to screw most the industry to keep what they have. Most the pilots force gets screwed because of a few special interest Ole timers.

Im guessing that you probably retired from the USMC, If so, that was your decision to stay for the retirment and therefore lessen the time you would spend at the Commercial airlines.

If you want to fly after age 60, GO TO NETJETS!!!!! Leave the industry alone.

Pilotbob3 said:
I heard that ALPA has reversed its position on the age 60 subject and that it will go to 63...due to UAL guys losing a lot of money now.......supposedly a done deal for jan. 1, 2005......sucks if true.

Right...Congress is going to hold a special session just for these UAL guys......thanks for clearing that up.

I really don't like it when people put words in my mouth.

I NEVER SAID that the age 60 rule caused furloughs.

WHAT I SAID was that raising the age abruptly would be a career windfall for those near the to[ of the list, while almost cetainly prolonging the furlough period.

In other words, pilots who would have been recalled would essentially be 'subsidizing' the ones at the top. (Not a perfect analogy).

Second, consider the war we would have over the effective date.

Suppose the reg change goes into effect Jan 1, 2005.

Imagine the smug looks on the faces of the guys who turn 60 in Jan or Feb as they give 'happy retirement' parties for the guys who turn 60 in Dec.

Oh, retroactive, you say?

Just how far back are you willing to go? Retired within the last 6 mo? Year? 2.5 yrs?

The system is broken. "Fixing" it will break it even more.

Leave it alone.

pilotyip said:
What is the connection of age 60 and PFT?
It's just the attitude of these guys that are wanting to get into the majors, whining about this age 60 thing.

They aren't happy with the bed of crap their brothers left them at the regionals..."the stepping stone" to the majors. Alot of the ones whining would or did sell out their brother at each step of the way to log time, to log multi time, to log turbine time, log jet, and to log 121. Now they see a reduced potential of getting hired because of all that has gone on in the industry with the downturn and they are stuck in their "stepping stone" jobs.

Add in the potential that a wrong (ie; age descrimination) is attempting to get righted and all of the sudden they are upset because their perception of the age 60 rule as government mandate for "ENTITLEMENT" to someone else's position at an airline is changing.

Not all 121 jobs are at majors or the traditional regionals and not everybody needs to go at 60.

The barking little dogs seem to forget that the quality of life at the industry was brought up by those old timers bargining for better pay and QOL issues, and now they are being despised by the very group of people that brought on the race to the bottom...those that would work for free almost, at the "stepping stone" level. The increase in the age 60 retirement age benifits all the want to stay...not just the ones that aren't in the system yet.

I guess what I was really saying was, where the hell do these people get off thinking the age 60 rule was a government mandate towards entitlement to someone else's position at an airline.

Age 60 mandatory retirement is age descrimination, plain and simple.

Nice touch FN FAL

Good answer, the age 60 guys help build the industry, but the young guys are aaying "Get the heck out of the way and my seat" Alot of this carpping will go away when hiring gets into its stride in June of 2007.

Well this thread started because a fella said it was 63 coming Jan 1st '05.

Is the 63 rule still being talked about?

Hey Big Brown DC8. I think you have been in the dark for too long. Please ignore the profile here because I'm using my son's user name. I've been at a regional for 27 years. I do have a retirement plan here unlike a lot us at this level. I don't know how you can make the statement " because some guys failed to plan well enough for their retirement" when nobody planned on the tsunami that is engulfing the airlines today. I feel that starting your career at 40 has put you at a disadvantage as far as history and reality is concerned. Those of us at the regional level that have retirement plans or a 401K are lucky, just as you are lucky to have the position with UPS. However, the vast majority of people working at this level have nothing in the way of retirement or any next egg once age 60 rolls around. In short, I believe your position on this thing is nothing short of myopic. I will be 60 in April. I think I have planned well enough to see my through the years to come, but another three years would make life a little easier for me. The problem with all the comments I see on this post is that they come from people who are dissimilar in who they work for. Is it really such a bad thing to let people go beyond 60? Especially those who don't have a formal plan in place? The pilots at USAir, UAL, Delta all had perfect plans for retirement. Things and times change. They certainly have for those people. Lets face it, the only thing a lot of us will take away from the career is some $ and hopefully a lot of good memories. Yes, you are lucky that your career is, for now, spelled out for you and that your attainment of age 60 will see you nicely out the door. Why do you bedgrudge others without this benefit? Seems like you beat your own drum here.

I say let the old codgers fly! Babysitting them as their minds deteriorate and preventing them from busting their (and as a consequence...our) a$$es keeps us from getting complacent in the cockpit and our skills sharply honed.

And letting them stay in the cockpit until 63 means keeping them off the roads for another 3 years except to and from their domicile airports. There's nothing worse than getting stuck behind a recently-retired airline pilot pathetically driving around with nothing to do every day except try to find the cheapest, afternoon senior citizen's buffet in town.

And why do these morons sit motionless at a red light, staring straight ahead like zombies for long, long minutes, and then just as the light turns green and the traffic is supposed to move, these oxygen stealers crawl along at a snails pace, ONLY THEN deciding to begin swiveling their gray heads from side to side like drunken elephant seals, gawking and examining with great intent to the expense of everyone else behind them who actually has something to do and places to go, at every sight that can be found at every average street corner in America..i.e...NOTHING! Newsflash! The word "intersection" is just another word for "crossroad". "CROSSROAD!".....as in.... "CROSS THE G$&#^#@ED ROAD BEFORE I GET AS OLD AS YOU!"

SO TURN ON THOSE FRIGGIN' HEARING AIDS AND LISTEN UP YOU PITIFUL GEEZER ROADBLOCKS! SO YOU FLEW AIRPLANES....SO WHAT! BIG DEAL! NOBODY GIVES A RAT'S BUTT WHAT YOU DID IN YOUR PRIOR LIFE! THIS ISN'T "TAXIING" ANYMORE...IT'S CALLED "DRIVING"....OKAY????....YOU DON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT BREAKAWAY THRUST, SO MOVE YOUR DEPENDS-SWADDLED A$$. AND IF YOU CAN'T DO THAT, SPARE THE REST OF US THE MISERY OF EXPERIENCING THE MANIFESTATIONS OF YOUR DOTAGE AND GET IT TO A NURSING HOME WHERE IT BELONGS!!!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back