Age 60 PIC in Europe

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

nwbusdrvr

Anyone know what the latest rules are regarding Part 91 ops in Europe. We're looking at hiring someone who is over 60 and wondering whether he can act as PIC in UK and France.

Thanks

Last edited:
think the new icio (sp) standard is 65 took effect last month................i know for airlines and i think covers all.....we have over the last summer been faced with the italians and french enforcing the age 60 rule

First of all I think the age 60 issue in France is limited to Part 135/121 Ops and not any Part 91. Have not been ramp checked in a couple of years over there and the age issue never came up anyway but take a look at the ICAO Annex 1 and see for yourself if this is not the case.

First of all I think the age 60 issue in France is limited to Part 135/121 Ops and not any Part 91. Have not been ramp checked in a couple of years over there and the age issue never came up anyway but take a look at the ICAO Annex 1 and see for yourself if this is not the case.
That's my understanding as well. I think that you could ask this question to your handler, I'm sure they deal with it frequently and will most likely have the most current poop.

LS

Not an issue for Pt. 91. TC

and to be clear we were operating 135 come to think of it

Thanks for the info. Looks like after reading Amendment 167 of Annex 1, which took effect Nov 23, they are refering to 121 and 135 only. So is it fair to assume there are no age restrictions for part. 91 PIC?

France is one of the few ICAO countries (like the U.S. , at least so far) that has not embraced the change to age 65. Enforcement applies only to "commercial" operations which, in the mind of most EU aviation authorities, includes Part 121, Part 135, and Part 91K.

That said, they don't appear to enforcing the limit. My company is a highly visible 135 and 91K operator with daily operations in and around Europe including France. Many of our Captains are fossils.....er, make that "of a mature age" above the French limit. And yet, I haven't heard of a single case of the French authorities ramp-checking one of our airplanes to enforce an age violation. It may be just luck but I tend to think it isn't a high priority for them.

Latest resources

Back