• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

age 60+ airline guys......

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm 62+, have the hip, still flying and am sick of you commuter pilots.
Enjoy your furlough

That's interesting, 62+ and still flying. Flying what? It's got to be 91 or 135. Or on the botom of a 121 list somewhere. Unless.....................you were a ROPE or an instructor. (Since the oldest real line guys are only 60 yrs and 10 months...) Either way, you got in a back door, that should have been sealed tight... So, consider yourself lucky. The rule was meant to prevent future retirements, not bring retreads like you back to the line.

As for the commuter pilot shot, nice. You are a real man in my book since you have all that dc9 time. Wooooooo hoooooo, that's a big plane. I wish I could fly something that big. Gee, hopefully someday I can have as rearding a career as you...

PS-- I will enjoy my furlough. Maybe I can see yet another part of the world. (It's all what you make of it...)

The fact is the age change came at a bad time and created a perfect storm. With the economy in the tank and gas prices insane the last thing we needed was another thing to slow down attrition. I don't pretend to know why a 62+ guy still wants or needs to fly. I'm sure there are all kinds of reasons. Some guys die after they leave for lack of purpose, others have been furloughed, bankrupt, or pensions lost and have legitimate issues for needing the money. Whatever the reason, it doesn't mean that you sticking around doesn't have consequence to the rest of the pilot group. So as a junior guy to the over 60 crowd I thank you for your experience to offer to the rest of us. Some humility to how it effects us go's along way though. All of us have been effected by this change and only the senior guy in a positive way. I don't want to become some old crusty guy and sound as nasty as you about a second chance that no one saw coming. Don't be so arrogant as to not see how this is effecting the rest of the group. Timing is everything and in this industry we all see that sooner or later.

Last edited:
Look EVERYONE'S career was affected by the new law. Some guys will get stuck flying crappy lines for 5 more years.

Some guys won't be able to upgrade or get off reserve for 5 years.

Some guys won't get hired for 5 years.

But, the law isn't changing. And the fact of the matter is, the change wasn't due to lobbying by the old guys. It was a response to the change in the ICAO regs.

And, guess what, it isn't changing back. So get over it, and move on. Unless you're fond of peeing in the wind...

Form Fubijaakr: "And, guess what, it isn't changing back. So get over it, and move on. Unless you're fond of peeing in the wind..."

...You miss the point of this discussion...It's not just the rule change...it's that the rule change has added yet one more thing to the already hurting industry. It is a rough time to be in the industry. Maybe you're too senior or making too much money to feel the pinch everyone else is...I don't know who you fly for but with us, they let the guys come back up front even though there was no vacancy for them. Pushed other guys out of the seat and down the line it went, including looking at furloughs. The fact is the only way a senior guy would truly feel this same effect is if the company rehired all the over 60 guys who already retired and pushed you down!! But hey, as long as you are taken care of, screw the rest of us! All I was saying is how bout some humility while others are feeling your tenure extension! But hey it's just a rule change and it's very simple from your perch isn't it? You make it sound so simple with it just being a 5 year extension of the current situation but it's not that simple. You need to open your eyes and ask questions about what's going on because you have no clue! The sad thing is you are so far removed that you can't see it and frankly don't want to. These points are mute anyway..you're not gonna get this. I'm done..good luck with your retirement..when you finally go.....

Last edited:
Everyone senior to me should retire so I can make more money. They owe it to me. I had to be an FO for 3 whole years, and now these greedy guys won't get out my way so I can sit left seat on a 777.

IF you were to get furloughed, and IF you were fortunate enough to get hired by a fractional, you just might find yourself flying with a 68 year old Captain who retired from 121 flying at age 60. Would that change your opinion of "old people" ?

Latest resources

Back