• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

age 60+ airline guys......

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have no problem with 60+ guys flying any type/size equipment. Its just that a large group of these guys got to move up their whole career based mostly on the ones older than them (ww2 and korea era pilots) retiring at 60 now they don't want to play the game. especially the "silver spoon" guys hired in the late 70's early 80's at places like UAL/DAL/AA/AAA. these guys have hardly had a hiccup. especially since the mid 80's. now they have the best pay and skeds and got there because someone before them retired at 60 but they don't want to play by the same rules. thats BS. these silver spoons have been raking in 150K+ since 1985 - if they don't have enough to retire on that alone then they only have themselves to blame.

If you are 60+ and are complaining about being bullied by younger pilots, then you my friend, are a Pu$$y.

If you are a 60+ Captain, act like one and don't put up with insolence. Lead by example, know your sh!t and be on top of your game.

In your declining years, if your spine becomes yellow, that is another indicator that it's time to hang up the hat.

If you are still capable of leading, be a LEADER.

Sorry, harsh but true, and now I get off my soapbox.

IF you were to get furloughed, and IF you were fortunate enough to get hired by a fractional, you just might find yourself flying with a 68 year old Captain who retired from 121 flying at age 60. Would that change your opinion of "old people" ?

That 68 year old pilot either had to work or needed to work. The big difference between him and the guys who stay at the airline with the new rule: He had to interview. The fractional isn't forced to hire every old guy that applys. The new rule requires nothing of a pilot who wants to stay with the airline. The airline will furlough and otherwise marginalize junior pilots in favor of keeping senior pilots who very likely couldn't get hired at a fractional or anywhaere else. CAL's recent early outs spotlighted this. Pilots who had taken care of themselves financially, and who are still viable enough to get a new job, did so. It is the perpetually needy, unprepared and unequiped guys who are going to stay and that is going to become even more so the case as time wears on. Now I admit that this doesn't describe all the age 60+ guys taying on at the airline, but it does describe a majority.

Last edited:
Look EVERYONE'S career was affected by the new law. Some guys will get stuck flying crappy lines for 5 more years.

Some guys won't be able to upgrade or get off reserve for 5 years.

Some guys won't get hired for 5 years.

But, the law isn't changing. And the fact of the matter is, the change wasn't due to lobbying by the old guys. It was a response to the change in the ICAO regs.

And, guess what, it isn't changing back. So get over it, and move on. Unless you're fond of peeing in the wind...

I'm watching the Wall Street bailout. The fallout is going to be salary caps for certain people and protections built in for those affected. Going forward we need to perhaps pattern what is going on there. Age 65 was no less a bailout! Financed by the profession because Prater didn't have the balls or the savvy to get it where he should have. The profession needs to have some say and some protections. Sure the rule probably isn't going to change back, but we can change the way we deal with it in the future. Age 60 needs to be preserved as a retirement age and to do that we should consider halving pilot salary past age 60.

Hey, f4l, I hate to break it to you, but I'll be flying crappy redeyes for about 5 additional years, too. The point is, EVERYONE'S career was impacted, but biatching about it isn't going to change things ONE IOTA.

Age 60 is gone and it ain't coming back, so get over it and get on with your life.

I have no problem with 60+ guys flying any type/size equipment. Its just that a large group of these guys got to move up their whole career based mostly on the ones older than them (ww2 and korea era pilots) retiring at 60 now they don't want to play the game. especially the "silver spoon" guys hired in the late 70's early 80's at places like UAL/DAL/AA/AAA. these guys have hardly had a hiccup. especially since the mid 80's. now they have the best pay and skeds and got there because someone before them retired at 60 but they don't want to play by the same rules. thats BS. these silver spoons have been raking in 150K+ since 1985 - if they don't have enough to retire on that alone then they only have themselves to blame.

And therein lies the crux of the situation: guys like this who are just jealous of someone else's successful career and bitter that things haven't worked out the same way for him.

It's got nothing to do with "not wanting to play by the same rules." The rules have changed and he is taking advantage of it, just as I would expect him or anyone else to do.

There are no promises in life. All you can do is ante up and take your best shot.

I don't know why, but for some reason pilots just can't stand it when they think someone else has made out better tan themselves. Here's a piece of advice: Spend your time enjoying what you have, rather than worrying about what you don't have (or what somone else does), because I am reasonably certain that your lot in life is probably better than 70% of the rest of the world.

Last edited:
fubijaakr,

You are totally right about complaining about it! I'm not complaining, I'm asking for some older guys who have been around long enough to know better to hold their tongues. There are some senior pilots here who are under the impression that nothing negative has happened as a result of the implementation of the rule change. That attitude is all I'm trying to address. At my company, over 60 guys who had already been out of the left seat were put back in it. That action had an impact besides just extending how long someone will be in a seat. Be that as it may, it does not require a bunch of narrow minded self centered jerks who benefited from it to shove it someone elses face!! I'm not complaining of the rule change, how it's effected my career, or how it's impacted others. I'm asking the fortunate ones who weren't expecting to get an extension or reinstatement to the most senior position to have some humility about their fortunate opportunities. It's that simple, just be humble..if that's possible...and appreciate your blessings instead of telling others to get over it.

As far as the rule change go's, I'm a younger pilot. I hate the rule in the first place. I'm one of the lucky ones who enjoys his job. I like what I do and am glad for that. Personally, I don't want anyone to tell me when to hang it up. At the same time, I don't want my career path to cause a negative impact on others. I don't think I would have gone back to the front after I was already removed from the seat, but I'm also willing to say that I'm not in that circumstance. Either way, to those who have and throw it in the face of others and say deal with it....I think they suck.....good day to you sir

Last edited:
I'm somewhat encouraged. The Wall Street bailout is going to spotlight what has happened to us. it's obvious age 65 was a bailout. Prater said as much with his "the FO that get's it" webcast BS. Well, obviously some things have changed and bailing out the old guys is costing us more than it should. Since no one takes a benefit until the day they turn 60, that's where the cutoff ought to be. We've had B scales and half votes before. Let's get it in the CBAs. Cut their pay and get some dough headed toward the furloughs and make everyone whole up to age 60. Keep 60 as a normal retirement age!

Prater had the chance to do this right. He should be hammering for a bailout in front of the automakers. He should have been speaking out against the half effort the ATSB turned out to be. Nope. He folded like a lawn chair and then turned to the bottom half of the profession for his bailout. We're going to see executive pay get trimmed in favor of protecting the taxpayer in the Wall Street bailout. We need to see age 60+ earnings trimmed in favor of those of us picking up that tab.

Latest resources

Back