Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Again, USAir is still looking for that next merger.......

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I used to think the AA merger talk was pure B.S. but a friend of mine who is the head of customer support for one of our parts vendors tells me they've been tasked with crunching the numbers for a combined fleet between US and AA...........son of a:bawling:

I used to think the AA merger talk was pure B.S. but a friend of mine who is the head of customer support for one of our parts vendors tells me they've been tasked with crunching the numbers for a combined fleet between US and AA...........son of a:bawling:

Was your friend tasked to crunch the numbers when USAir and United or Delta were in talks?

As I said before, Us Air is looking for another victim!

This strikes me as the most likely of a series of unlikely mergers. From a route and business perspective it makes the most sense. I have no idea how a SLI would look, but there is a theory that says it could be chance for everybody to take a deep breath, step back, and start anew. Wishful thinking maybe. AA and the East side could be close enough in age/relative position/DOH to merge fairly peacefully... the West has the most to lose in a merger, but perhaps given a much larger list the rest of the pilot group could be convinced to slot them in something approaching relative seniority position since it would have minor negative impact on everybody else. 1600 West pilots into a combined list of over 14,000.

Nobody on the USAir side would start over. If there were an SLI with AA, the USAir side would use the binding arbitration award from Nicelau, and the USAir East side would have to accept it. I am sure the AA guys wouldn't put up with the East side nonsense. The question is "could you ever trust them again with any agreement?". Their signature on anything has very little credibility.

OYS

Nobody on the USAir side would start over. If there were an SLI with AA, the USAir side would use the binding arbitration award from Nicelau, and the USAir East side would have to accept it. I am sure the AA guys wouldn't put up with the East side nonsense. The question is "could you ever trust them again with any agreement?". Their signature on anything has very little credibility.

OYS

OYS,

I have been saying that since the Easties said no and kicked ALPA out. They are a bunch of wheenies. Those guys at American are going to love dealing with them if they ever do merge. I think the American pilot group is larger than the Easties, so USAPA would be voted out too, and then they would be in trouble.

Bye Bye---General Lee

OYS,

I have been saying that since the Easties said no and kicked ALPA out. They are a bunch of wheenies. Those guys at American are going to love dealing with them if they ever do merge. I think the American pilot group is larger than the Easties, so USAPA would be voted out too, and then they would be in trouble.

Bye Bye---General Lee

That would be a path out of the quagmire that is us air's current SLI. APA would become the agent for the combined pilot group, acccept Nic, and negotiate from there, hopefully with an industry leading contract.

Not only that, the only reason the east has gotten away with what it has is bc they have a voting majority- one that would disappear immediately w/ a merger w/ a larger carrier. And AA pilots would NOT put up w/ an attempt.

I think the AA folks would be fine with Nic. - they would happily propose to keep it intact when they staple it to the bottom of their list.

If AA were to merge with USAir the only heartburn would be with the west. It's not rocket science here. The East does not pose a threat to anyones career. By the time the dust settled a large portion of them would be gone or about to head out the door. Not so on the West side. If I were an AA pilot I would through the nic out in a heartbeat and start over. The Nic puts younger pilots higher up the list. Younger pilots ahead of you on the seniority list is bad news. Older folks ahead of you is temporary bad news. AA's pilot age with USAirs would be a win for the West no matter where they ended up. Problem is, like it or not, is the the West pilots seem to want instant reward.

Latest resources

Back