Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

after landing checklist always done OFF all rwys?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Actually its not in the AIM or FAR's. The FAR's say that in Class D and above (with separation) you will fly at 1500'.

91.129 say:
"(e) Minimum altitudes when operating to an airport in Class D airspace. (1) Unless required by the applicable distance-from-cloud criteria, each pilot operating a large or turbine-powered airplane must enter the traffic pattern at an altitude of at least 1,500 feet above the elevation of the airport and maintain at least 1,500 feet until further descent is required for a safe landing."

Nothing for class E or G. but the regs do address descending into the pattern.

§ 91.515 Flight altitude rules. (Large or Turbine powered A/C)

(a) Notwithstanding §91.119, and except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, no person may operate an airplane under VFR at less than—

(1) One thousand feet above the surface, or 1,000 feet from any mountain, hill, or other obstruction to flight, for day operations; and

(2) The altitudes prescribed in §91.177, for night operations.

(b) This section does not apply—

(1) During takeoff or landing;

(2) When a different altitude is authorized by a waiver to this section under subpart J of this part; or

(3) When a flight is conducted under the special VFR weather minimums of §91.157 with an appropriate clearance from ATC.

Part 135 says:

§ 135.203 VFR: Minimum altitudes.

Except when necessary for takeoff and landing, no person may operate under VFR—

(a) An airplane—

(1) During the day, below 500 feet above the surface or less than 500 feet horizontally from any obstacle; or

(2) At night, at an altitude less than 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal distance of 5 miles from the course intended to be flown or, in designated mountainous terrain, less than 2,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal distance of 5 miles from the course intended to be flown; or

(b) A helicopter over a congested area at an altitude less than 300 feet above the surface.

I am guessing it might be one of those things that is left over from the "old" days and passed down. If anyone can reference anywhere, remember the AIM isn't regulatory unless referencing a reg, please post it...thanks.

Could have sworn that was in the AIM.

I also found this: http://www.avweb.com/news/features/184492-1.html

Advisory Circular AC 90-66A
"It is recommended that airplanes observe a 1000 foot above ground level (AGL) traffic pattern altitude. Large and turbine powered airplanes should enter the traffic pattern at an altitude of 1,500 feet AGL or 500 feet above the established pattern altitude. A pilot may vary the size of the traffic pattern depending on the aircraft's performance characteristics."

I know of at least one pilot that taught the owner to turn off the pitot heat immediately after landing (as in while still cruising down the runway at 80+ knots) because the AFM says you only have two minutes of ground operations. SMH.

Wait until you're clear. FAA Policy or not, it's just good practice.

Could have sworn that was in the AIM.

I also found this: http://www.avweb.com/news/features/184492-1.html

Advisory Circular AC 90-66A
"It is recommended that airplanes observe a 1000 foot above ground level (AGL) traffic pattern altitude. Large and turbine powered airplanes should enter the traffic pattern at an altitude of 1,500 feet AGL or 500 feet above the established pattern altitude. A pilot may vary the size of the traffic pattern depending on the aircraft's performance characteristics."

Ok, now that we all have a proper altitude figured out for a pattern in a jet, let's discuss who flys a pattern at uncontrolled fields?

We will have guys say:
1. They fly a jet, so they don't fly patterns, only straight-ins (I have flown with plenty of these guys).
2. Guys will tell you that there is no regulation mandating pattern usage, only guidance so they don't have too (I have flown with these guys too).
3. That it's unsafe to fly a pattern in a jet (yes, heard it too)

"After the aircraft has cleared the active runway."

---at part 121carrier, pilot handbook (aircraft manual)

Its all a matter of opinion, until someone can specifically show it in writing or a letter of interpretation from the FAA legal counsel in DC.

Who here flies a turbine aircraft at uncontrolled airport at 1500', if so why?

Wow. Just Wow.

My opinion is 7642 ft. Just because.

:blush:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back