AFIS question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

falconpilot

Anyone every used the AFIS to send position reports when crossing the pond? Im leaving tonight to go to England. Our jump off point is Gander. Just wondering if you can send reports via AFIS.

Last edited:
Afis

In my book, when HF is foul and I can't get the report passed, I simply dial OAK Oceanic/ARINC SFO, Gander Radio or Shanwick on the sat phone. That way I know the report was passed. You may find the AFIS message text is more costly than the sat voice call, though.

TransMach

TM- Will you post a contact # for Gander and Shanwick. They might be handy to have on those "wonderful" HF days.

Thanks-

falconpilot said:
Anyone every used the AFIS to send position reports when crossing the pond? Im leaving tonight to go to England. Our jump off point is Gander. Just wondering if you can send reports via AFIS.
That's funny, I was just trying to figure out how that worked on our FMS 6100. I saw the button, looked it up in the manual and was wondering if anyone used it?

No I dont think you can AFIS POS reports.

I know you can call them (Gander) via Satcom with a report. Afiscom can send you a little card to put onboard with the #s.

The ATC button is for CPDLC I believe. Be nice to be able to get it.

With the last few new airplanes we ordered we inquired hard about CPDLC and were told "Its in the works Massiur, but no idea when" and they blamed Eurocontrol. This was 6 months ago.

till then we fight with the HF.

Id really like to hear "POS reports are no longer required in the gander/shanwick OCA"..like everyone else gets..

whaaaa.

:)

Last edited:
Honeywell AFIS and Arinc are not CPDLC (Controller Pilot Data Link) capable. Currently it's for the airliners only. If you do a Google search you will come up with the basic system requirements.

The problem comes down to; how does Gander, or whomever contact you? Arinc/AFIS has no problem calling Gander and relaying your message but currently their is no way for them to contact us directly. Their is no way that Gander will ever allow a relay patch to some college kid in Afis or Arinc headquarters, they want direct access.

Even if it was available, with the new Part 91 Ops Spec's, you would need to go your FSDO for approval. Their is a dedicated Part 91 ops spec for the use of CPDLC.

We did the telephone position report trial. It was lame, it only reduced two position reports. You still need to contact Gander and Shanwick for a Selcal check, so you might as well just give them your position.

Last edited:
Afis

My pleasure,

For the Pacific, from my cell phone:

ARINC SFO ... Recorded Line (925) 371-3920
OAK ARTCC ... Main Number (510) 745-3000
OAK Ocean ... Unit Direct Number ... (510) 745-3342

I'll get the Atlantic numbers shortly ... I'm in school and didn't think I might need that stuff flying around the room in a Savannah Simulator.

TransMach

Thanks... Any number for the North Atlantic controlling agencies?

universal has #s...we cross often and always use sat phone to call gander/shanwick...its easier and they like it better. afis will no do pos reports to gander/shanwick.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back